1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't paste an image

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by joyt, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

hi,

i'm teaching an online friend how to copy & paste text and images into message board posts. she's new to the net, has a new pc, and wants to learn.

she can copy & paste text into a post just fine using her mouse, and she can copy an image using her mouse. however, the image won't paste into an online post . :mad:

after copying the image, we tried to paste it into an online post by using:

menu bar > edit > paste

we had no luck :( paste won't highlight on the menu bar.:eek:

she's using windows XP and IE. what could be the problem? can pasting an image be disabled in IE? :confused:

thank u,
    joy

2. tamilynn63

tamilynn63

what is the site? may not allow you to post anything but text or can you without a problem? she using IE or Firefox or?

3. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

she can't paste or post any google images - jpg, gif, or png

all the images have worked for me, whether i use IE or firefox.

she uses IE.

ty,
    joy

4. sekirt

sekirt

From the way you describe it, that is correct: paste will not highlight because you can't copy/paste an image.

Can you provide step-by-step details on exactly the way you do it and are successful?

For instance....try to copy one of the smilies in your previous posts and then paste it into a new edit box at this forum. It shouldn't be successful.

sekirt

5. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

i can do it with no problem using IE or firefox.

it's my online friend whom i'm teaching who has the problem. she's in KY, and i'm in GA. ;) i will get her to register and post tomorrow, ok? :)

meanwhile, do u want the instructions that i gave her?

joy

6. sekirt

sekirt

You can copy a smilie from your post and paste it into a new post? Please detail exactly what you did.

Yes, by all means, detail the instructions you gave her.

-->Edit...let's stick with IE for the example because I don't use Firefox.

sekirt

7. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

i copied and pasted this smilie using IE - [​IMG]

right-click > properties > copy http://images.techguy.org/smilies/smile.gif > place within image brackets = [​IMG]

ok, the instructions that i gave her:

"1. right-click on the image - choose properties (the last option)

2. left-click on properties
    a gray box will appear

3. copy the Address with your right-click button. the... any ideas?:confused: :( :o thanks, joy

8. sekirt

sekirt

LOL - that isn't "copying" an image. When you copy text, you highlight and then paste it. Many would have thought that was what you meant by copying an image - highlight the image and then paste it - which is exactly what will not work.

But what you describe above, pasting the address/URL for an image is exactly correct. I believe there was confusion communicating what you did.

9. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

thanks! :) when she gets online, we'll try your instructions. LOL - i wouldn't be surprised if i was the one who erred. :eek:

i'll get back to u with an update, ;)
    joy

10. joyt

joyt Thread Starter

well, guess what? :) u were exactly right! :cool: problem solved! :) thank u so much! :)

thank u, again! :)
    joy

11. sekirt

sekirt

You are very welcome. Glad it worked. (y)

sekirt

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice