1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Ping - Can't Browse

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by HW_Tech, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HW_Tech

HW_Tech Thread Starter

WINDOWS XP, IE 8.

Hi,

I'm brand new here because as an intermediate user, I have set my self up as a freelance help desk for basic problems with local communtity. which I have 100% success at so far.

However, this one is a little out of my experience.

1. User with Desktop with USB Belkin wireless adaptor to Broadband router
    2. Can access router from desktop via IE
    3. Cannot ping google from desktop
    4. IE 'Gives cannot display web page'
    5. Cannot run windows diagnostic 'cos not using windows for connection.
    6. Belkin says connection to router good (which we know it is 'cos can see through IE))
    7. I take my laptop to user's house, can connect to router and access web with IE, so broadband is ok via my internal adaptor.
    8. Other laptop user in house can connect and browse , so problem is limited to the desk top set up
    9. malware sweep clean
    10. user now advises by SMS he has a diagnostic (software unknown at this stage, belkin? router ?) highlighting Username conflict.

Any ideas where I should go with this guy from here please ?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make and model of PC
    make and model of router / modem
    Whats the software - if not windows

is a firewall blocking access ?

have you tried connecting via a cable

3. HW_Tech

HW_Tech Thread Starter

All good points, and i have to say that not being on the site, and not having access to the user, I can only give you;

Dell 3000 PC
    Talk talk supplied modem but model not known

I'm trying to put together a step by step strategy to diagnose so anything would help.

We haven't tried a cable yet but will do when I next visit (we didn't have one long enough); but if I can acces router via ip adress then surely comms between pc and router are ok ?

There is no firewall, but he has kaspersky which has an invalid blacklist, but this is probably due to not being able to update it.

He did confess to having a trojan introduced by a third party, but killed it with kaspersky, and my malware sweep detected nothing.

I'm going to see the chap on Monday so any help would be appreciated even though this is out of my field.

Thanks

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes, but would still be worth using a cable, just to see if something is blocking

It could be a probelm with winsock due to the various
    whats the windows version and service pack
    you already did a tcp reset

have a look through the network forum (johnwill and Terrynet - post a lot of solutions )

5. HW_Tech

HW_Tech Thread Starter

In response to my own post - I found this

Huawei SmartAX MT882
    Supplied from Oct 06
    This is actually a combined adsl modem router with one USB and one Ethernet connection.
    The web interface is limited and TT have disabled a lot of the features. :/
    Unfortunately TT seem to have made a huge boob in the first shipment of the software shipped with this particular router in that it seems to have problems remembering the username.

at
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/talktalk_connection.htm

I'll give resetting password a go as well as part of resolution

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice