1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't play avi files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by skeeta, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skeeta

skeeta Thread Starter

Hi all.
    A friend of mine has given me a DVD of himself playing a few online games so I can watch and decide what I want to play. He recorded the footage using Fraps free version and left them as avi's but when I go to play them I find that all my players have a problem with them.
    MPC just tells me that the file can't be rendered.
    VLC Plays something but I don't know what. The video window doesn't open and the pointer just shuffles along the whole length of it's track in about twenty seconds with no audio either.
    Nero Showtime tell's me the file is either corrupt or unsupported.
    Infact non of my software even recognize the files.
    I have sent him the disk back and it works ok on his system but he burnt me another copy off anyway to no avail.
    I have run trIDnet on a few of the files and it is pretty sure that they are .SPU files. On looking this up I find that SPU's are Spectrum 512 bitmap files used by Atari.
    I find this very hard to believe.
    All other avi's run ok on my system, even ones I have recorded using Fraps myself.
    I have the latest K-Lite Codec pack installed and am running XP Pro.
    Thanks in advance

2. ohheck

ohheck

3. skeeta

skeeta Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I gave it a try but it said that the files weren't avi's. Yet another bit of software saying the same thing. This is getting right on my.....nerves now.

4. ohheck

ohheck

this?
    http://avicodec.duby.info/

is this a data dvd or a video dvd that will play in a stand alone player? The video files on video dvds are basically mpegs.

5. skeeta

skeeta Thread Starter

it's just a data dvd. The files were just dragged n dropped onto the disk. I tried that tool you suggested. It didn't recognize the format.

6. DuO

DuO

I had this exact same issue! I downloaded a codec called DivX it helps play through any video player. I forgot where i got it though so just google "DivX". It may have come from the Microsoft site but I'm really not sure.

7. stevie555

stevie555

find a program that will tell you exactly what avi codec it is, i have one but can't remember what it's called. Anyway, once you find a program and identify the codec details, you can go to http://www.fourcc.org/ to download the files you will need to play it.

8. officialblueboys

officialblueboys

Download Divx or Xvid codecs

or download K lite mega codec pack

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice