1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't play AVI movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by NT4.0, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

I've been trying to play an AVI movie but with no luck, though tried a lot of ways... First I played it in WMP 10 and it said some codec was missing, so it was showing the picture perfectly but with no sound. I installed K-Lite Codec Pack and tried playing it with WMP Classic as directed but it said there was an error and showed horizontal lines on the screen instead of the picture. WMP 10 could not play it either. After I uninstalled K-Lite Codec Pack, WMP 10 would not even show the picture! I decided to try Real Player 10 and it does show the picture, but no sound again. I have never dealt seriously with movies before, so I would appreciate any advice you could give me about this.

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Looking at the specs of your computer I would wager a guess that you are way underpowered to play avi's (huge files) in real time. Where did you get these avi's?

3. NT4.0

NT4.0 Thread Starter

I seem to have figured that out to some extent. After WMP 10 showed me an error message, I proceeded to the MP Error Center and it sent me to the website where I downloaded and installed the codec. After that I get the picture and sound, but this time the picture is very slow, while the sound plays at a normal rate.

2 Linskyjack: You are most probably right, hence the problem described in my previous sentence -- probably the processor is too slow. I just thought that if the picture went smoothly with no sound, it might as well go like this with it. This is a movie I borrowed from my friend (if this info could ever help resolve the problem at all).

4. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

If the computer is underpowered, the video should show as jerky, and constantly pause during playback. The total lack of sound implies that a codec is missing. You could use GSpot to determine the codec.

What was the error that WMP Classic gave you?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice