1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't play DVD's on my laptop

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by breeves, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. breeves

breeves Thread Starter

I just received a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 that runs windows 7 for Christmas and tried to play a DVD but was given an error message that said:
    "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

I clicked Web Help and it said the following:
    "Windows Media Player error C00D1163
    You got an error because there's a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card.
    In some cases, you can resolve the problem by updating the device driver for your video card. Here's how:
    • Check Windows Update for any available video card updates or checking your PC or video card manufacturer's website for an updated driver.

If you're running Windows 7, you can try to fix the problem by using the Windows Media Player DVD troubleshooter.
    In general, to play DVDs, you must have a DVD-ROM drive and a compatible software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your PC. If you don't have these, DVD commands and options won't appear in the Player and you can't play DVDs. For more information about DVD decoders, see plug-ins and add-ons for Windows Media Player."

I used the troubleshooter but it didn't help and I looked at the plug-ins and add-ons for Windows Media Player and nothing was useful.

If anyone could please offer any information on what's causing this problem and how to fix it I would be very grateful. Thank You

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What are the "service tag" and "express service code" numbers on that Dell?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 comes with Windows Media Center built into it.

Have you tried setting it up and using it for playing those DVD videos?

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. breeves

breeves Thread Starter

I don't know why, for some reason the dvd's just started playing with no problem this morning when I tried

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1116089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice