1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant play HL on LAN

Discussion in 'Games' started by moebius, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

i dunno **** about networks, just that i cant play with my friend on LAN. we cant see each others hosted games. even if we do, we cant join. we both have the same versions. but we havenmt downloaded any updates, because those updates are for playing on the internet...

2. jkill

jkill

first what kind of LAN router do you have....?
    reinstall the game on all the computers your playing on....
    check if the subnet mask on all the computers are the same...
    update the HL game, that might fix it as well, it doesn't hurt either...
    following all that might fix it....

3. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

i dunno about the lan router, just that its a switch. its actually a network in our apartment block. were sharing a 4mb DSL connection on it... the subnet mask on all systems is 255.255.255.0 my ip is 192.168.0.20 (local) and his is ...6. im thinking its most probably a problem with the network. i reinstalled and updated, but theres still the same problem. we can both play on the internet now, which we coudnt without updates...

4. jkill

jkill

Yea....it's probably the router's problem....
    and since it's a network within the apartment walls, there's not much you guys can do expcept make your friends move their computer's to your room and LAN up there....sorry.... :p

5. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

i forgot to mention this important fact: other games work on LAN (aoeII, ron, unreal...)

6. McTimson

McTimson

Maybe you should both get the update anyway (not Steam, the latest update for regular HL), and see what happens.

7. jkill

jkill

try out steam....it might help...

8. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

whats steam?

9. jkill

jkill

steam is a way to play all the Half Life games, including half life,....check it out more and download it at steampowered.com

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice