1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Play PC Games (Lockups)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Faizon, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Faizon

Faizon Thread Starter

Problem: When I go to play PC game, CD-Required more like it, I find myself with a blank screen (Usually White) and nothing loading. I'll usually be able to send my start tab over the blank screen, so I think everything is still functioning fine, but then I go to ctrl+alt+del the game and the whole system locks up. Same thing goes for DirectX, it won't detect anything but my video card. Mostly because of past errors that lock it up I decide to bypass those options.

Cause: I got this new computer about a month ago, decided to put in the hard drive from my old computer. Along with my sound, and modem cards. That I did, and everything was working just dandy, PC games and all. Then I go to put some RAM in it, and I shorted out the motherboard/power supply. And so, I put everything back, sound, modem, hard drive back in my old computer. I find myself with the problem, can't get PC games to load.

System:

Motherboard ECS K7SEM SiS 730S Chipset
    2 DIMM Slots (1GB Maximum RAM)
    1 4x AGP slot
    2 PCI Slots
    1 AMR Slot

2 serial port
    1 parallel parallel

System Memory: 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
    CD-ROM: MSI 48x12x48x CD-R/RW drive w/Nero software
    CPU: AMD Duron 1.3Ghz
    Video: geForce2 MX200 64MB 4X AGP
    Sound: Creative SB Live! 5.1
    Hard Drive: Not Sure

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Video Card drivers, that didn't seem to work, any help would be appreciated.

2. flyeater

flyeater

Sounds like an overheat problem or it's still your power supply.

3. voodoodemon

voodoodemon

Motherboard ECS K7SEM SiS 730S Chipset

you need to do the chipset fix for this these boards as the heat sink is stuck down with double sided sticky tape.

The importance of proper chipset cooling on the K7S5A
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's time to once again put some focus on this subject.

Many posts in the "Problems with K7S5A" section about instability/freezing are in many cases directly or indirectly related to chipset overheating. The feedback from many users solving their instability problem speaks for itself.

Often, the chipset heatsink re-mounting is the last thing K7S5A owners try when working on an unstable setup. But it should really be the first thing to do (also on systems running just fine). Of course there will be situations where a (small) modification to the original setup of the board like the heatsink fix would be problematic, if for example you are considering an RMA. In theory, it will void your warranty, because it is a physical modification to the board. Some would say that it is not a modification, but more a needed fix for a production flaw at ECS. One can only guess why ECS (and many other motherboard manufacturers) uses double-sided tape to mount the heatsink, double-sided tape is not a good heat conductor, on the contrary. A guess could be that it's because is a relativly inexpensive way (massproduction-wise) to do it.

You can re-mount your chipset heatsink this way:

Gently twist off the small orange heatsink on the SIS735 chip. You must twist it back and forth a few times to get it loose. When you have it off, "roll" of the tape from the chip with a finger and try the same with the heatsink (the heatsink side will be more difficult, you may have to use some rubbing alcohol to get it off). When both chip and heatsink is clean, reattach the heatsink with a thin layer of thermal paste (the same stuff you use for your CPU) and four drops of glue in the corners to keep it in place. Apply pressure while the glue hardens.
    You can also use a thermal adhensive (heat-conductive epoxy) to attach the heatsink without the use of thermal paste. If you plan to overclock a lot, or just want to be on the really safe side, you can also choose to mount a bigger heatsink, for example an old 486 og pentium heatsink.

If you touch the heatsink on a running system (under full load) mounted with double-sided tape, the heatsink will not feel particularly hot, only lukewarm. If you then reattach the heatsink properly and touch it again under the same conditions, it will be much hotter. This is an indication of the heatsink is now doing its job, not being held back by the tape insulating the chip.

4. Faizon

Faizon Thread Starter

I doubt it is overheating, because I was running games just fine with the last system that was exactly alike. And I can run the games as the very first thing I do when I log on and they still won't boot.

Plus I'm a lazy man, and taking the case apart and doing all that is alot of work heh. Plus I'm not very experienced with hardware on computers, I'd probably break something.

Any easy software fixes I could try first?

5. voodoodemon

voodoodemon

well better get a new computer or make sure you got the right cpu fan on it but looks like anoverheating problem
    up to you mate :)
    dont think software is the problem

6. flyeater

flyeater

How many watts in your power supply?
    Don't kid yourself about that potential overheat problem. You'll lose a lot more than the ability to play games.
    I detest SiS chipsets & avoid them like the plague.

7. Faizon

Faizon Thread Starter

The reason I'm skeptical...

Let's look at this logically.

The 1.3AMD system I recieve, the first time I recieve it works just perfect, with my old hard drive I installed.

I then blow it up.

I put the hard drive in a completelly seperate computer, and I encounter the problem.

I then put the hard drive in the new machine, and still get the problem. The parts are all exactly the same part, only brand new.

Seems to me, it would be an issue with my hard drive, and I was looking to see if people agreed with me =/

8. flyeater

flyeater

You didn't play this up as a hard drive problem. If you said that the system in general locks up whether you open MSWord, Netscape or a game. If it seems to lock up anytime you spin up your hard drive sure that might be the problem. It may very well be.
    However from what you said in your original post
    I understood this to be the only time it happens.
    Games can be tough on your system resources. If it is a problem with overheating that's when it's most likely going to. I suppose you could try using other apps and programs running at the same time to see if the same results occur.
    I'd be intrested in knowing how you "blew up" your other PC.
    What Operating System are you running?

9. Faizon

Faizon Thread Starter

It is PC Games only, but I seriously doubt it's an overheating problem based on what I said.

On the old system I basically fried it by putting some RAM in it didn't like, might of put it in backwards or something, I'm not sure. When I started it up, the motherboard powered up and nothing came up on the screen, and then it shut itself down. When I tried to restart it, the motherboard wouldn't power up, and then the power supply sparked and nothing would ever power up again.

10. flyeater

flyeater

You can't put ram in backwards. It only fits one way. I would try to determine what caused that problem. Could that be related to your current problem?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice