1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't POST, "Memory initialization error. No usable memory detected"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Welcome_Home, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Welcome_Home

Welcome_Home Thread Starter

Hi, I recently put together a new computer with parts from newegg, and when I attempt to start it up, my debug LED reads "53" which, according to the manual, indicates a memory initialization error (no usable memory detected).

My system:

Things I have tried:

1. So, I installed the whole thing, LEDs light up, fans whirring, all that. Just no POST.
    2. I followed this guide to try and solve my problem, to no avail: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
    3. Currently, I have everything taken out of the case with only the motherboard, CPU, HSF, and PSU hooked up.
    4. I have tried both sticks of RAM seperately in each slot.
    5. I have tried resetting the CMOS.
    6. I was careful to constantly touch the grounded PSU before I touched sensitive pieces.
    7. I made sure all connections were secure, and everything was in its proper place.

No matter what I try, it gives me code 53, saying that no usable memory is detected. I don't see how both sticks of RAM I got could be bad. I am now completely out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Sponsor

3. pip22

pip22

"I don't see how both sticks of RAM I got could be bad."

Well they could be if they are both the same brand and were part of a bad batch at the supplier's store.
    If they are not bad, they could simply be incompatible with that motherboard.
    First thing I would do though is take them back and swap them for a different brand just in case they did come from a bad batch.
    Better still, get a refund and buy your RAM from a different supplier.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just to be sure you have the mb outside of the case and have attempted the out of case build? Is that correct? Have you read the guide at the top of the page for problem builds? Note the guide has you do the out of case build then if no post swap parts with known good units. Known good does not mean new; it means a part you pulled from a working system and you know it works. Just like anything else a new part can be DOA.

5. Welcome_Home

Sounds good. The motherboard manufacturer's website didn't specifically list them as compatible, but the RAM manufacturer's website listed the motherboard as compatible, so I don't think it's a compatibility issue.

Yes, I have. And yes, I've read your guide. It was helpful, but unfortunately yielded the same results, no matter how few or many parts were assembled in any location.

I'm going to try and find some known good parts, I only have an iMac and a non-functioning laptop available to me at the moment, will post results when I can.

In the meantime, is there anything else I could do to determine whether it is the motherboard or the memory? Even if there is no RAM installed, the Dr. Debug LED gives me code 53, memory initialization error, which leads me to believe it is the motherboard, rather than the memory, in my completely non-professional opinion. There is a different code it should give for "no memory installed."

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pull out all memory and pw ON. You should receive a post beep code [provided you have a speaker connected] If there is no change at all with all memory removed from the board, I would suspect a failed board.

FWIW asrock is the "Value" [read cheap] line from asus. Asus does the design however the actual mfg is done by ecs. If asus will not put their own name on the board, what does that tell you about quality?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you see anything at all on the screen? Even with no RAM, most machines will display something.

"No RAM detected" and "No RAM installed" would seem to be the same thing.

If something comes up on the screen, my money would be on bad or incompatible RAM. Use RAM that the board manufacturer says is compatible, not the RAM sellers.

Make sure CMOS has been cleared.

8. Welcome_Home

I don't have a speaker, I assumed that the Dr. Debug LED was a more sophisticated version of the beep codes, could be wrong there. But the code on that stays the same even with no RAM installed. And I honestly knew nothing about Asrock before I bought it, but it was the top rated board on newegg, 5 stars, lots of reviews. If I end up returning it, I'll get an Asus, thanks for the tip.

When I hook up the video card and a TV through the HDMI cable, I can't get anything on the screen whatsoever. When I power on, it says "searching for signal," then after a few seconds, "no signal." And yeah, there is a CMOS button on the I/O panel which I hit; I also took out the battery for 15 minutes and put it back in, still nothing on the screen.

9. Jrw2550

Jrw2550

Im goin with CRJDriver on this one.....just due to the fact that you get the same error code with or without ram installed. Also, did you double check the ram was non-ECC as your board only supports that type i believe. One last thing, since I didn't see it mentioned here, your PSU (especially if its "value") can do some crazy things to a rig. You wouldn't believe what type of so called unrelated glitches and problems a bad PSU can do for your system. If you've got another compatible one laying around, or if its less wattage disconnect your video card and fire the thing up with minimal periphials. Hope this helps.....and hope its not a bad board for you!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1022948