1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Larrylowtech, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larrylowtech

Larrylowtech Thread Starter

A while back, I was having problems with my kids' computer inexplicably shutting down.
    I posted this in this thread:
    Previous discussion

Finally, I thought it could have been dirt and heat build up. After cleaning, it worked mostly pretty good for a few weeks.
    Yesterday, it shut down and I can't get it to power up at all.

Any suggestions on what and how to test?
    I realize that it's hard to diagnose a problem without it running.

There was some speculation in the other thread that it could be a hard drive problem. I have a second drive in the computer. Is it as simple as replacing the cables on the present "c" drive and making the other one the new "c"
    I'm guessing it can only be several things.
    Power source being another.
    Would like a systematic approach, if possible rather than throwing parts at it.

Thank you for your always great help.

Larry Foster

2. brite750

brite750

look through the second sticky post at top of this forum

3. brite750

brite750

my 1st impression is that its a psu problem, pc wont run at all correct?

4. brite750

brite750

5. Larrylowtech

The machine doesn't even try to start. It's as though I'm not pushing the on button.
    I'll check the thread and thanks for your reply.
    Larry
    EDIT:
    The machine is about 1 year old. My son built this as part of a training program. Basically, they were given the parts and taught where to assemble.

6. headscan69

headscan69

Hi Larry,
    Boy, this sounds familiar...hmm. oh yeah, it has happened to me about 1 1/2 years ago. Same situation, sometimes it booted fine, other times it would not. Kind of nasty. Every thing said so far has pointed to power supply.
    In my situation I opened the case, got out my ohm tester, found the manual/booklet for my motherboard and tested each wire for the correct voltages specified. Found that it surely was the problem and bought a new one from newegg or tigerdirect, can't remember which but that did solve my problem.
    As for the hard drive question...... 'Is it as simple as replacing the cables on the present "c" drive and making the other one the new "c"' That answer would be 99.99% nope. Why not 100%? It is possible to have two hard drives in one machine with two of the same / different operating systems (OS) and use the BIOS to state which drive to boot from OR have some type of boot program/process to decide but from what I have read that isn't the situation here.
    I would focus on the supply of power before any thing else.

7. Larrylowtech

Thanks, headscan69.
    We had been having intermittent shut downs before but always restarted, eventually.
    Will any old power supply work?
    I have an older machine here. Could I use that or how do I determine my needs?

8. brite750

brite750

NO ACTIVITY IS PSU PROBLEM, READ OFF THE LABEL OF THE OLD ONE

9. Larrylowtech

I'll take it out in a bit and see what's there.
    Thanks

10. headscan69

headscan69

If you buy a new make sure the physical dimensions are the same and the Watts are same or better.

11. Larrylowtech

Apologies for not updating this. But a new power supply fixed this.
    Thank you for your help.
    It is greatly appreciated.
    Larry

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice