1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't print from XP Laptop to printer attached to Vista 64 Desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Raider4evr, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raider4evr

Raider4evr Thread Starter

This is driving me nuts! hehe... Seriously though, I have a laptop running windows XP and a desktop with Vista 64. The HP 932/930 printer is attached to the desktop unit. I've read and done everything on the page below to enable printer and file sharing...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

I was able to get the printing on the laptop to work, but only after I did the following: try to access the Vista PC via the list workgroups computers, the laptop would ask for the username/password of the Vista PC, after that was entered, I could print but only until the lpatop was shutdown then you have to di it all over again. I don't want my username/password out there, so I disabled the need for passwords on Vista via the link above, but the laptop still asks for it and still won't print.

There seems to be endless articales on Google for prinitng from Vista to an XP connected printer, but mine is just the reverse. Has anyone else here run into this same situation?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Adam H

Adam H

Try enabling the guest account on the vista PC.

Control Panel> Administrative tools> Computer Management> Local users and groups> Users
    Right click properties on the guest account and then untick "This account is disabled"

Try again now, vista might need a reboot.

Had a similar problem on win2003 and this did the trick.

3. Raider4evr

Okay...tried the guest account and still not able to access the printer. Also, I have to update that I cannot see any files or the printer when I try to access the Vista PC unles I key in my password, which I don't want to do.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You mean it works if you use the password?

Start, Run, control userpasswords2

You can configure automatic login for the machine so you don't have to type the password.

5. Raider4evr

Yes... If I try to view the Vista PC via network connections (view all workgroup computers) then a popup window opens asking for username/pass. I can then see the public folder and the printer connected to it. The problem with this is I don't want anyone to have access to my desktop PC. In Vista it says you can disable the need for pasword access, but when I disable it it keeps blocking my "view" to the Vista PC and printer until I put in a pssword. Hope that makes sense....
    I did read that I should be able to create another user account on the Vista PC with the same username/pass as the laptop and this would let me access the printer. I'm going to try it and see.... If anyone has any ideas though, it would be appreciated.. or better yet if you have yours working then tell me how you did it =)

TY!

6. JohnWill

7. Raider4evr

Well, I can get it to print, but only after going to "workgroup computers", clicking on my desktop PC's link and then typing in the username and password. Seems I can't get the laptop to print without having to do this.

8. JohnWill

Create a user account on the machine with the printer with the same name and password as the connecting machine. That should eliminate the password prompt. No need to actually use this account, it just has to have access to the printer.

9. Raider4evr

I created the same account on both PC's and still ask for the password when I go to access the folder I choose to share. Also, the printer still won't work unti I try accessing the shared folder and inputing the password. IT wouldn't be as bad if when I printed it asked for a password, but having to access that other folder then go back is a pain in the behind. Any other options I can try?

10. JohnWill

Did you create an account on the Vista machine that uses the name/password that is used to login to the laptop? It's got to match the logged in account of the connecting machine to be effective.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/654464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice