1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't print from XP Pro to a printer on wife's XP Home computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dlbeck, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

My wife has two printers hooked up to her XP Home computer. Every other computer in the house can use either of those printers through our wireless network. But my new XP Pro notebook can't print to them. I get a message saying "Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server" Both printers are shared. I can print to either one of them via my Win 98SE computer or my daughters 2000 pro notebook. I can also navigate my wife's harddrive and copy files back and forth between her machine and my xp pro notebook. So I am definately connected to her machine but I just can't get the printers working. All workgroup names are the same (had that pain yesterday). I can ping her and she can ping me. File sharing is working fine. There must be something with XP that needs to be tweaked for her printers to work.

Thanks..... Don

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

3. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

1. Done.
    2. I do.
    3. I can ping the other computer
    4. I cannot ping by name just ip address
    5. I do
    6. The only firewall I'm aware of is built into the Linksys Router
    7. I do

I can move files back and forth between these two computers. But for some strange reason I can't get this XP Pro Notebook to connect to the printers off the other machine. All other computers in our home have no problem doing this.

Don

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The reason for the list being in the order, is because it starts with the basics and works it's way up from there.

Since you can't ping by name indicates a pretty basic problem.

Since you weren't aware of it, have you turned off XP's built in firewall?

Go to Start / Settings / Network Connections
    Right click on the network connection you want to change
    Select Properties
    Click on the Advanced tab
    Uncheck the box in Internet Connection Firewall

If that doesn't work, and just for testing, you can add the the IP address and name of the computer with the printers attached to the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files. These are typically located in the \windows\system32\drivers\etc directory. Just a plain text file with the IP address, space, Name.
    e.g. 192.168.0.2 Wife_computer

5. dlbeck

dlbeck Thread Starter

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Thank you thank you thank you Bob.
    None of the computers had the firewall thing checked.
    So I added the ip address to those two files you talked about. Now I don't have to enter the \\ip address command to connect and the printers are working. You rule dude!!!! This was the problem the entire time. Did I say you rule?

Now .... what do I need to do to make all the computers is their current ip address all the time since this stuff is hard coded?

By the way I only entered my wife's ip address in those two files you mentioned and her computer is still the only one that I don't have to do the old \\ip address command for. So you for sure identified the issue. Too bad I can't make this work for dynamic ip addresses.

Thanks again Bob.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice