1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't print remotely to shared USB printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikelis, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikelis

mikelis Thread Starter

I'm having a problem getting a shared USB multifunction printer to work over my network. It is shared as hpoffice.

The printer is connected to a system running WinXP pro. It works OK from that system. From a a wireless laptop also running WinXP pro, i add the printer via printers and faxes->add printer.
    then i select ad a network printer->browse for a printer.

the printer shows up in the dialog box as \\puff-max\hp office g series.

i select it and it shows as ready. i click next and it tells me i'm about to connect to a printer and it will in stall a print driver. i click yes, it asks if i want to use this as a default printer. i select no. it tells me i've sucessfully completed setup.

Now, when i try to print a test page to the printer. i get the following msg:
    test page failed to print. would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?

How do i get this to work?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Have you tried setting it as default?

3. mikelis

mikelis Thread Starter

but that didn't work. one thing i forgot to mention is that i can print to it remotely via a command prompt but not from any windows apps. could there be a security issue with Windows? i also have a second system hard wired to the printer's host via a router and that system can't print to it either. it is also running winxp pro.

the weird thing is that this used to work but stopped about the time i renamed
    the printer name on the host and but then renamed it back to the original name. i even deinstalled and reinstalled the printer driver to no avail.

one thing i may try is removing a software application called inksaver. taht may be affecting it someway.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Remove it then, and reinstall it and rename it something easy for the time being, like HP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice