1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't print? Solve your organization's printing challenges with the UniPrint Suite

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by wisdum, Jul 24, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. wisdum

wisdum Thread Starter

This is great. I saw this on www.windowsnetworking.com. It is an advertisement for UNI Printing... The product sounded fine until i read the fine print...

[​IMG]

wis

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    that's a bad thing? :confused: I think they meant the bandwith used on everyone trying to print I thought.

3. WarC

WarC

Yeah, reducing bandwidth utilization would be good. Reducing overall bandwidth would be bad.

Utilization is basically consumption. Literally meaning the use of something. Bandwidth is like a resource, so the more available the better. Therefore, bandwidth utilization sucks!

It doesn't seem to be a problem for smaller high speed networks, but in large businesses where the network traffic can get high, even larger emails with attachments can create problems and cause bottlenecks. The bandwidth taken up by end users streaming video is currently kicking our network's *** at work. :D

That said, the kind of network resources the printer uses in comparison to that is pretty small, unless we're talkin' large plotters or something.

Besides, the idea of trying to use a universal print driver is pretty scary. Say if you have more than a handful of printers across a network. Trying to support a wide variety of printer types and brands with one driver is asking for trouble. The next day you'll have people wondering why their printer won't print color, or why their driver settings are gone, or why they have to click the mouse two times now instead of one time...If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If that software came down the pipe at work I would have nightmares. Nightmares, I tell you. Sonofa*****!!! :mad: :mad:

Who knows, maybe someone here has tried this out and had good experience with it.

4. wisdum

wisdum Thread Starter

You guys are stupid.

If you actually go to their site... you will find out it is simply a type-o.

And no, bandwidth utilization should be increased... making it more efficient.. if you reduce bandwidth utilization you are reducing the efficiency of your bandwidth... therefore reducing your overall bandwidth...

nice try though

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

They're not stupid, you just don't understand the site. They're clearly talking about reducing bandwidth usage. How could a printer driver possibly "reduce your overall bandwidth"?

6. wisdum

wisdum Thread Starter

Alright, well, "stupid" may have been a bit harsh...

but i would guess as "Distingushed Members" they would know the difference.

7. WarC

WarC

*sigh*

This is all semantics. If I say "My bandwidth utilization is really good! I'm gettin 2.5mbps out of the advertised 3mbps!" then 'utilization' in that context is good.

In the context of that site, the term "reducing bandwidth utilization" is meant as reducing bandwidth usage/traffic.

Think about it. How can printer driver software claim to significantly affect overall bandwidth outside of the printer traffic? It can't. So if they mention "bandwidth utilization" as a selling point, they are obviously talking about the traffic created by the printer receiving jobs over the network. In that context the less utilization the better. Why would you want your printer traffic to utilize more of the available bandwidth? Thats like adding more cars onto the freeway when you want more room. It's counter productive.

I'm an English teacher as much as I am a computer tech.

8. wisdum

wisdum Thread Starter

utilization does not mean the same thing as usage...

you most the most utilization with the least usage.... keep going though, this is great stuff. Just keep diggin!

9. Gibble

Gibble

Wisdum. You're wrong.

In the context it's referring to, it means this new print solution will utilize less bandwidth than your previous setup.

That's a good thing.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's all in the context dude...

11. wisdum

wisdum Thread Starter

This is challenging...

u·til·ize tr.v. u·til·ized, u·til·iz·ing, u·til·iz·es

To put to use, especially to find a profitable or practical use for.

Usage Note: A number of critics have remarked that utilize is an unnecessary substitute for use. It is true that many occurrences of utilize could be replaced by use with no loss to anything but pretentiousness, for example, in sentences such as They utilized questionable methods in their analysis or We hope that many commuters will continue to utilize mass transit after the bridge has reopened. But utilize can mean “to find a profitable or practical use for.” Thus the sentence The teachers were unable to use the new computers might mean only that the teachers were unable to operate the computers, whereas The teachers were unable to utilize the new computers suggests that the teachers could not find ways to employ the computers in instruction.

Utilization can be defined as a form of efficiency... as in, the better the utilization of bandwidth, the more avaliable bandwidth you will have. Therefore, reducing your bandwidth utilization does not mean the same thing as reducing your bandwidth usage... It is a typo guys... if you go to Uniprint's site... it says it increases bandwidth utilization... It is simply a type-o on windowsnetworking.com that i thought was funny.

Forget this stupid argument (where you are wrong) and just simply laugh at how the advertiser and the company dont have the same thing written down for their adds: One says increases, one says decreases. The funny part about this is that discrepency. Period.

wis

12. Gibble

Gibble

No it does NOT!

http://www.uniprint.net/
    It says in big bold letters "OPTIMIZE" bandwidth utilization. Meaning, using your bandwidth more efficiently!

13. wisdum

wisdum Thread Starter

OMG! You actually make sense! Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about!

14. Gibble

Gibble

Umm...I'm NOT agreeing with you.

15. deh

deh

I know of people that use EOL print (well they did years ago) for issues with Terminal sessions and a third party software. It kept control over printing issues they were having. According to the website of makers of EOL though the Uniprint does not suport RDP, it only supports ICA. Also looks like it prints faster as well. Of course they could be a tad bit biased.

http://www.amtsoft.com/universalprint/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice