can't print word documents

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

seward

i can't print word documets but can print email. any suggestions as to what to do to solve this problem will be appreciated - thanks

Hi Seward

Here's a transcript of a Word helpfile that may be of some use:
When I try to print a document or envelope, nothing happens.
Check your printer setup in Windows Printing from your computer is primarily controlled by settings in Windows. Determine whether your printer setup in Windows is correct by using the Windows Print Troubleshooter. On the Windows Start menu, click Help. Click the Index tab, and then type print troubleshooting. Click Display, and then follow the instructions in the Print Troubleshooter.

Check the Microsoft Word printer settings If the Windows printer setup looks correct, check the Word printer settings to make sure that the selected printer matches the printer you're using. On the File menu, click Print, and then click the name of the printer you want to use in the Name box.

Make sure that the page range you've selected in the Print dialog box corresponds to the pages you want to print.

If these checks don't help, or you have already been down this route, (which I suspect you have) have you made any changes to your system recently that you think might be related to printing/Word? What printer do you have? Do any error messages come up? When Word printing fails, does the printer icon appear in your system tray(botton right of screen) as it normally would when a print task is being executed?

Purely as a precaution you could run a virus scan, though I doubt this is the cause.

Let us know how you get on.

seward

have tried these suggestions-really appreciate your response. what other ideas do you have-anything and everything is appreciated. i don't understand why my emails print but when i try to print a file (could be an email sent to word) from MS Word, it doesn't do it. the printer goes thru the motions, the paper goes thru the printer but no ink on the paper. i have ordered new cartridges, we will see if that solves the problem.

Anne Troy

Anne
Generally, printer cartridges have a small (usually blue) piece of filmy plastic on them that must be removed before installing...

What type of printer is it? Try downloading and installing the latest driver for your printer... if you're not sure how to do it, post back and we'll give some step by step instructions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online