1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't re-install Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by robblah, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robblah

robblah Thread Starter

I'm having all kinds of problems with my computer that seem like they should be easy to fix, yet none of my attempts have proven successful.

The computer is a Gateway desktop with Win 7 Home 64bit. It was working fine, no problems until this issue.

I have Gateway Recovery DVDs, not Windows install disk.

The problems first started when the computer had a blue screen mentioning iastor.sys and the computer rebooted. Multiple reboots and attempts to use Safe-mode failed, producing the same brief blue screen and reboot. I tried running Kaspersky Rescue disk which removed some virus but did not help the error.

I figured I'd just erase everything and start over but the problem is, it didn't work! I ran the Gateway recovery disk, chose the full format option to erase everything and let it go.The 'recovery' goes fine, it asks me to reboot so I do.

Windows starts up, and does whatever it does to finalize the install, and during one of the steps an error window will pop up with a message that says something along the lines of "the system has had an unexpected error and is will continue after a restart" (that might not be the exact error, but I can't remember right now)

Reboots don't help and the same error comes up. I've tried the Gateway recovery 3 times.

I'm stuck, I can't understand why wiping the drive with Gateway recovery did not solve the problem.

I've tried a couple minor things in the BIOS, one was loading the default settings, and theother was trying different drive options (RAID, the other "A" one, and Native IDE). Nothing helped.

I want to add that Linux LiveCDs work perfectly.

Any suggestions? I have no idea where to proceed. Would really appreciate some suggestions :)

2. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,are you booting from the disc or just running from the optical drive.not sure but you should have a recovery partition

3. huggie54

huggie54

try this, holding down the ALT Key and repeatedly hitting f10 then it should bring you to a boot sequence screen, choose the HDD, then hold down ALT and repeatedly hit f10 again that should promt the restore feature for gateway

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice