1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't re install windows7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by syenglish200, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syenglish200

syenglish200 Thread Starter

My dell laptop came with windows vista when I bought it last year but I was entitled to a free upgrade to windows 7 which I installed without any problem. But a couple of weeks ago my pc crashed and the repair shop reset it back to vista. But when I tried to re install the windows 7 upgrade I just get this error message: 'This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows to upgrade you need the correct installition disc for more information check your computer's system information.to install a new copy of windows restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc and then select custom advance' I tried re booting several times but I just get the same message. :mad:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Chances are the repair shop did not "recover" to your Vista; may have even installed a pirated system (wouldn't be the first time that has happened).

Is the Upgrade DVD a regular Microsoft disc, or a specially built Dell disc?

When you boot to your Windows 7 Installation DVD do you get to the the point of choosing "Custom" vs. "Upgrade" and still get that message? I'd format the partition and do the "Custom" install per this Paul Therrott article.

3. syenglish200

The upgrade is dell it came with 2 discs, upgrade assistant (which worked OK) and operating system which says on it windows vista home premium (which is what it is showing I have) to windows 7 home premium I don't get any other option to do anything other than the message saying it is not compatible. Now you have suggested that maybe the shop has not reset it properly I am wondering if that was the case if perhaps it would be better to take it to someone else and see if they can re install it?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yeah, it sounds like Dell made sure the upgrade to Windows 7 could be used only on the intended system. If you received or created a set of Vista Recovery DVDs you can use them to "Recover" to the original Vista and then use the Upgrade disks.

Second option is to look and see if your Recovery partition still exists, and seems to be intact. If so, see it you can boot to it or access it from the installed Vista. I've be very surprised if either of those works, but we shouldn't overlook them.

Check your printed documentation or Dell's web site for specifics on how to use the Vista Recovery partition or DVDs.

Third option is to see if you can purchase the Vista Recovery DVDs from Dell. If you do, of course check with them to make sure that using them and then using the Upgrade disk should work.

5. syenglish200

Ok thanks I have a windows Vista reinstallation disc I think I will contact Dell before I do anything else.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice