1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't read data from CD-RW

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mrhandyman, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrhandyman

mrhandyman Thread Starter

I was having problems from my Compaq Presario. It was opening programs on its own. Running out of memory with only one or two applications open. I have 512 MB RAM. I tried to reload the original recovery CD but there was a problem. Compaq had me buy and load some quick restore discs then load the recovery CD. I did all of this. Prior to stating these procedures I backed up all data from my applications. I backed up the contents of "My Documents" to A rewrittable CD. After reloading MS Word I tried to reload the data from the CD and the computer wouldn't read it. I determined the CD-RW was not working correctly. I installed a new Memorex 52x32x52 CD-RW. I put the disc in the drive and opened Explorer. It took forever for the F:\ drive to read the CD and put up its title. When I tried to copy this to "My Documents" the program freezes and never displayed the contents. I went to "My Computer" and opened the CD and all of the contents were displayed. I clicked on the edit drop down menu and clicked select all. The I tried to move it to "my Documents" and the computer freezes again. Is this data corrupted? Is there a way to retrieve it?

Thanks

2. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ

It sounds like the Disc have errors on them...you can download this app. called CDCHeck (free) http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

Check the disc with that and you'll probably find errors...that app. also recovers the files on the disc, but it'll be VERY SLOW...if its a big file you want to recover, it can take DAYS...literally...I've tried ahahahah...and the file you recover will probably have problems with it...for example, I tried to recover an MP3, and after it recovered it and I listened to it, there were spots filled with silence or skips or just plain noise...but if you're desperate, its better than nothing right? ;)

So what CD-RWs are you using? And what CD-RW drive did you use to burn them? I'm just curious because I had an old 4x Pioneer CD-RW and was using TDK CD-RWs, and EVERY single burn gave me CRC errors eheheh...but then I got a 52x32x52 Lite-On, and no problems... (y)

Definitely check out CDCheck, its a great app.!

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Don't trust CD-RWs for back-ups, no matter what burner you are using.
    They are not known to be reliable for that.
    Packet Writing software (INCD or Direct CD) will give you problems too. Discs burned with these programs may not be readable on machines other than the one the burned them.
    Save your really important files to CDR in a single session and be sure to close the disc. It is also a good idea to check the disc after you are done to be sure the data is readable. Store them in a safe place.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice