1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Read Email Profile

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Mrs. Mouse, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrs. Mouse

Mrs. Mouse Thread Starter

ERROR SAID TO CREATE/OPEN PERSONEL FOLDERS FILE BECAUSE IT CAN'T READ THE INTERNET EMAIL PROFILE. DELETE CURRENT PROFILE AND CREATE A NEW ONE. PROPERETIES FOR THIS INFORMATION SERVICE MUST BE DEFINED PRIOR TO USE. i DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START TO CHANGE MY PROFILE?

2. Alaska

Alaska

Mrs. Mouse welcome to TSG Forums:
    Can you tell which e-mail program you are using Outlook Express, Eudora, etc. If you provide this information maybe someone will be able to provide a solution. That person may not be me, but the information will help.
    Any information on what you were doing, or trying to do, when you received the error may prove helpful as well.

P.S. Please undo the "Caps Lock" on your keyboard. It is difficult to read messages in all capital letters and in internet etiquette it is considered shouting to post a message or word in all capital letters. :)

3. Mrs. Mouse

Mrs. Mouse Thread Starter

Oops, Caps are off. I use Microsoft Outlook. I can email back and forth but the error comes up when I reply to an advertisement and try to send my email address. The error under Personal Folders says, "The information service has not been configured. Select an existing file to configure and type the name of a new file to create. Couldn't read your Internet email profile. Exit and delete current profile and create a new one."

4. Alaska

Alaska

At the onset I have to say I do not use Outlook, but I did a search on Google and found this:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Outlook/Q_20677892.html

Now the person in the above link had the problem of seeing the error message when Outlook was started, that is not your problem but maybe the solution offered will correct yours.

If you feel comfortable doing what was offered as a solution in the above link you can try it or perhaps someone else will reply to your post and confirm this suggested fix or offer another course of action for you.

A recap of what is in the link is as follows:

Person A: Sounds like you may have a reference to a no longer existent or moved pst file in your profile. Right click the Outlook icon on your desktop and choose properties, or double click the mail icon in your control panel.

What's listed in your profile here?

Person B: Outlook is the only thing listed in this profile.

Person A: When you open the Mail icon on the control panel, you should see a window with three buttons:
    e-mail accounts
    data files
    show profiles

Click on the data files button and you will see any files that Outlook thinks should be present. Is there just one listed here, or several?

Person B: I'm sorry, I was looking in the show profiles area.

Data Files:
    Archive Folders -----> location correct
    Personal Folders ---->"NOT AVAILABLE"
    Persoanl Folders ----->location correct
    Personal Folders ----->location correct

Person A: OK, good, that is what we were looking for. You need to remove the Personal Folder that is not available, then restart Outlook.

Person B: What will that do? Will it delete any files or saved messages? How would it get there to begin with?

Thanks!

Person A: No, it's simply removing a pointer to a file that doesn't exist. As the Personal Folder wasn't where Outlook thought it was, there was not data that could be stored or viewed in it anyway.

Again, this is only a pointer, though. Removing the reference to the non-existant file isn't destructive, so no worries there.

If you accidentally removed a reference to one of the actual files you are using, it wouldn't delete the data, it would just make it unavailable in Outlook the next time you opened the program. To get it back you would just click FILE->OPEN->OUTLOOK DATA FILE and browse to the file.

Person B: Thanks for your help!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice