1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't read my burned data cds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xargos, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Hi all!

I'm quite new to cd-burning. Here is my problem:

I can't read or copy data from my own recorded data-cds (photos, videos, .exe, etc.) but have no problem at all playing my recorded music cds!!!

Recording specs:

- CD-RW : Matshita CW-7586
    - CD-ROM : Samsung SC-152C
    - Tried many brands of CD-R disks (Kodak, Sony, Verbatim etc.)
    - Tried many burning software (cdr-win, ezcd creator 5, nero)
    - Updated to the last firmware driver for my burner (1.08)
    - Tried Microsoft and Adaptec ASPI
    - Speed 1x and 2x
    - Tested all possible recording parameters; track-at-once, disc-at-once, ISO9660 and Joliet file systems etc.

The end result is always the same; the disc is fully recorded but when I try to read or copy data files from the new cd it does not work, I get "redundancy check error" message when reading from the CD-RW, or "wrong diskette" message from the CD-ROM.

I must say that there is indeed one of the recording software (ezcd creator) that signals an error at the end of recording, telling: "compared data does not match". It seems like this is a file system error but I've tried both Joliet and ISO9660 to no avail!

And remember that my recorded music cds are playing fine!

I am really going nuts, I can't imagine something I did not try! And I don't tell you the number of recordable cds I wasted...

Any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Xargos.

2. deuce

deuce

Does normal data record ok? You could always use the wasted discs as coasters. (you can never have enough of those) :D

3. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Well, I can see the data files on my recorded discs with Windows explorer, and each file has the correct memory size. I just can't do nothing with these files since I can't read them or copy them... and my rom drives are not defective.

4. deuce

deuce

Sorry... I can't remember why you get those errors... but have seen them before. Have you tried reinstalling the manufacture's drivers for the cdrw?

5. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Yep, I tried that but with no result. I'm totally confused. :confused:

6. deuce

deuce

What method of writing are you using? I have heard of errors when using packet writing on mp3 or something like that.

7. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Euh, sorry but I don't know what packet writing is. Do you mean multi-session? But I've tried so many things... single data track, multi-session, track-at-once, disk-at-once...

I just made another test though: I burned text files and had no problems reading and copying them after! So in addition to .cda files (from my recorde music cds), these are the only file types I can read from CD-R disks.

I saw on cdrfaq.org that some people experienced corrupted files on their recorded CD-R for compressed-type files like .zip or self-extract files. It happens that my problematic file types are .jpg, .avi and self-extractor... One solution proposed is to check CD-R drive connection and cable. Oh well... I don't know what I'm doing but I guess I will open that dreaded computer case and twitch everything I can... can't do much wrong trying to secure connections...

I will give feedback soon.

P.S.: Other solutions proposed :

"One user with an otherwise properly functioning system was able to fix the CD-R corruption problems by correcting the RAM timings in the BIOS setup. A couple of others found that their problems went away when they disabled the L2 cache on the motherboard. "

Since I don't know how to do these operations, I'll check cables first... :rolleyes:

8. deuce

deuce

Well, I don't have a burner (although it is in the mail :D) so all I know about it is what I read and hear. Check your cables and report back... and if you heard that disabling L2 works... we'll try that. I'll show you how to do that when you post back if the connectons were all secure. What bios do you have? If you are not sure, it says right as you start before the memory check. (or is it immidietely after the mem check?... I don't remember)

Anybody know what is going on?

9. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

I just played with the cables but they already felt secure. Anyway I did another record after that and I still can't read files.

So how about the L2 cache? Can you help me with this? Where I must go to disable it, and what is this memory cache used for on a computer?

By the way, is it normal that in device manager I have a "PCI Mass Storage Controller" and a "PCI Multimedia Audio Device" that are marked with an interrogation mark? Properties says "The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)" but Windows won't find any driver for them. I can't think of any piece of hardware that is malfunctionning on my PC (well, except for my little CD-RW drive here); sound card is fine, hard disk is obviously fine, and I don't have any external drives... so what's that? Can it be related to my cd-rw problem?

I must also confess that these two PCI devices warnings came for the first time after I rebooted because of a burning smell coming from my PC (some time ago, before I ever tried to record my first cd)!!! I never found the cause of this smell, it never occurred again and my pc work just as fine as before, except that since then the above mentionned PCI devices are marked with no drivers. I would be thankful if you could light me on this also.

Xargos.

10. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Update on the bios: it says it's "Ultra 100 Bios 2.01 (build15)".

Also note that when booting Win98 I always get this error message (it dates to some time ago):

error : Memory manager not detected
    Creative SB16 Emulation Driver requires EMM386 or similar
    Creative SB16 Emulation Driver not loaded

I hope this has nothing to do with my cd-rw problem...

Sorry if my sum of little problems is growing up, but until now I had no problems with anything, so despite these messages I applied the common wisdom: "if it ain't broke don't fix it!". But if you think it has nothing to do with my cd-rw problem, don't bother with this new info.

11. deuce

deuce

The L2 you have to disable in your bios... but first lets install some of the missing drivers. It may not directly affect your cdrw... but it's best not to have any problems. So do you have sound or did you not notice it was missing... or is it not missing? This we should fix first. It sounds like you are either missing sound or you had onboard sound and installed a PCI sc and didn't disable the onboard. Is this correct? It sounds like you have a sound blaster... you will need the drivers from whomever it is that makes the sc you are using, if it's not creative labs, and delete drivers from sound cards no longer on your system.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice