1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't receive emails in TB3, password problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Oldwest, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

I thought I couldn't send but I can send but not receive emails. I use Thunderbird 3, Firefox, and Windows 7. For some reason it does not accept my password when I try to receive mail but it does when I send. Don't know how I ever got mixed up with passwords, never even knew I had one until a few days ago. I have used TB3 for over a month with no password ever mentioned. Now I can't operate because I don't know the password, I have reset it many times but it does not get accepted.
    Really need some help cuz i don't know what else to try. Anybody?

2. pip22

pip22

With email, you don't need a password for sending but you do need one for receiving. The reason should be obvious -- it ensures you can only access mail intended for you, not intended for someone else.
    That's true for all email clients, not just Thunderbird.

The password is the one you chose or were supplied with when you first set up an email account with your ISP or email service provider.

3. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Double check your settings to send and receive e-mails. Is it POP3, is the incoming mailserver spelled properly, is your email addyy spelled correctly in the settings. Guessing this is not a password issue..... give your provider a shout and let them earn their fee.

Just ideas......

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Tools - Options - Security - Saved passwords - remove the one for your incoming mail. It will be imap:... if IMAP or mailbox:... if POP.

When I had the same trouble that you are having it was a corrupted saved password, and the above fixed it.

5. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your help. I just got my computer out of the hospital yesterday and it is doing much better now.
    Because of your help I can now send and receive emails, I finally have conquered the password problem. Now if I can find a way to eliminate the password I will be a more happy camper. Thank you all very much.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If you have to type your password each time, check the box on the password dialogue to have T-bird remember the password and it will automatically connect in the future.

7. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

Throoper, Thank you, thank you. So easy if you know what you are doing and so difficult if you don't..
    I am now a happy camper !

8. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

What did they say the problem was???? Details are always great, as that would help me to figure out new stuff.....

Learning Curve Here.... :D

Steve

9. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

rotarysteve, I had screwed up the setup for Thunderbird and didn't have the right password among other things. Thanks for your concern.

10. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

;)

Thank You....

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice