Can't receive emails with attachments over 4MB when sent to my domain name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nflder

Have been using a domain name for my website and emails for 20 years. About a month or so ago I discovered that people sending emails to my domain name got their emails bounced back if there was an attachment that exceeded about 4MB with the message "A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients" Although an email sent to my real address with an attachment far exceeding 4MB is delivered OK! My provider is not interested in troubleshooting anything outside their scope! Can anyone suggest anything....

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2038 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 8880 MB;
Motherboard: Gateway,
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

etaf

First Name
Wayne
does you domain name email have a size limit on emails , the often do have limits and can be as low as 3mb - have you ever received emails greater than 4mb ?

Nflder

Thanks etaf. You are correct! I sent them an inquiry yesterday and they replied that attachments are restricted to 2MB. I have been with them for about 6-7 years and the bouncing started about two months ago. I am asking about this but I'll probably not get a reply. Now I'll do some searching for another registrar! Trouble is I have seven to consider. Any suggestions?

etaf

First Name
Wayne
I have been with them for about 6-7 years and the bouncing started about two months ago.
they may have just implemented the limit , but people are now sending images and movies around by email and with images no necessarily checking the size and so large attachments are not quite frequent

I do not have any recommendations for an email service via a domain name - I suspect the free ones will be limited , mine is ,but i also use gmail with my domain included as username , which has a 25mb limit - https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=8770

Nflder

Thanks again for the reply... You are probably right again. I'm already paying for the domain name (only ~$10 annually) separate from the internet connection and I'm linking my domain name to my internet service provider (locally) which I also am paying for the internet/landline phone (bundle) connection (~$60/month). What I have to do is find a registrar for the domain name that does not limit my attachment size, or at least allows 10-20MBs. Is google/gmail a registrarl?

etaf

First Name
Wayne
Is google/gmail a registrarl?
no you can forward a domain name to a website hosted and created by google - but i guess you are looking for an email that has name @ yourdomainname for your email

Nflder

That is what I am doing now but the registrar who holds the domain name is limiting my attachments. The whole reason for having a domain name has just lost its significance... prior to limiting attachments you would never need to advise anyone of a change to your email address. That is a real convenience especially if you are going south for the winter - you change your provider and the link direction on the domain name to point to the "southern" provider and never have the bother to tell friends of the change. Now I will have to tell those who regularly send me 5-7MB attachments that they must use a different email for attachments and each year it is different... Blast!!!!

etaf

First Name
Wayne
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online