1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't receive most ota channels on Toshiba HDTV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tjennings, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjennings

tjennings Thread Starter

Jul 30, 2007
    I have Toshiba model 46HM95 HDTV about 4 years old. I want to pick up over-the-air digital broadcast channels, particularly CBS, PBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC. The FCC website "http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/" shows 11 strong signals for my street address in zip 29680 : 40.1, 29.1, 4.1, 16.1, 62.1, 7.1, 21.1, 38.1, 33.1, 13.1, and 49.1 . These channels include the four networks listed above that I want to receive plus CW, MYTV and several other IND or PBS. Eight are UHF and three are HI-V. I am receiving only two: UHF's: 40.1 and 62.1. I first used the antenna that I bought when I bought my TV, an amplified RCA model ANT537. Thinking the antenna might be the problem, I went to BestBuy & picked up a rabbit ears, RCA model ANT111. The box says: "Receives free local HDTV,VHF,UHF, FM signals" These two antennas were attached to ANT 1 socket on rear of my Toshiba. I re scanned channels for both antennas and I basically got the same results: 40.1 and 62.1. I read good reviews for the MOHU Leaf antenna, so I ordered that. I checked to make sure I had the tv set to ANT1 input and I rescanned after installing it the Leaf. Same results as with other 2 antennas. I swithed coax input to the ANT2 socket on back of set, reset tv to ANT2 input and re scanned for channels. Same results, same two channels.

In Googling the problem, I read a couple of other Toshiba HDTV owners having similar problem, but the forums never came up with a solution that I could find.

Does anyone have an Idea of what to try next?
  2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Aug 15, 2007
    If your TV is both ATSC and QAM capable,you might want to
    check the settings menu and make sure it is set to ATSC
    for over the air broadcasts.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000539