1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't reformat????

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by njmatrix99, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njmatrix99

njmatrix99 Thread Starter

I have a 400mhz amd k-6 with 6gd hd running win98se and 9x mb of ram. My problem is this. During a bootup the computer refused to boot saying that a driver wasn't installed. I wnet to format the computer and start fresh, BUT it wouldn't reformat and it kept saying I had an operating system on this computer already. Any ideas how to reformat and get win98se running right again?:confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like you tried to do a reinstall, not a "clean" install. That message can occur when you try to install a "Full" rather than "upgrade" CD over a previous, but lower version installation.

If you have a full version installation CD and the registration (productkey), you can format the disk first. This wipes everything off it and there is nothing there to conflict.

You need a Windows boot (startup) disk. Boot with it and at the a:\> prompt enter:

format c:\

When the format is complete, reboot the startup disk and select "start with cd-rom support". Watch the screen to see what drive letter gets assigned the cd-rom. It should be bumped up one, becoming 'e' if it was previously 'd'

When you get the a:\> prompt, insert the Windows CD, have your registration key handy, and enter:

e:\setup

(this assumes 'e' is the letter assigned to the cd-rom drive)

follow the prompts from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice