1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant register a dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by big_pimp, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

i cant register a dll on my gf's computer she needs the dll to run a piece of software that she wants to use, she's windows xp

on every windows xp computer i've ever been on system32 is in C:/windows/system32

but her computer doesnt have windows it is

c:/winnt/system32

i tried putting the dll she needed in there and it hasnt worked.

I tried to register the dll

rundll32 msinet.ocx,DLLRegisterServer

got the error

error in msinet.ocx missing entry: dllregisterserver

am i using the right command to register the dll?
    i have xp and when i did the same thing for the same program i didnt need to register the dll just dropped it in system32.. im guessing its something because of winnt.. and i dont know what to do about that to get it to work.. and how come hers is c:\winnt and not c:\windows ? on windows xp

2. Cybertrion

Cybertrion

as far as I know
    regsrv32 foo_baz.dll

3. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

is that a run command?

cannot find regsrv32 make sure u typed the name correctly......

4. JayT

JayT

You might want to check this :

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.lyndkrew. html

It might not be this particular trojan, but so far as I know WinXp does not have a C:\Winnit\System32. This does exist in Windows 2000, but I think not in WinXp. You could try download the Stinger.exe from here:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ It could be the new Win32.Sober virus as well. It could also be the coolwebsearch hijacker. You might want to run Adaware and Spybot. And if that fails download and use CWS shredder.

And if you have no success with this, try posting in the security forum. Sorry I can't be of more help. Someone there will probably ask you to post a Hijack This file and then interpret it for you.

5. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

i dont think its a virus. because everything is ok.. just instead of having a windows folder she has a winnt folder .. i think this is why the program cant find the dll cos its looking in windows not winnt maybe? i'd say its not a virus because she's had the computer over 2 years and the folder has always been winnt not windows

i'll try that.. but im 99% its not a virus.. maybe the pc was upgraded from win 2000? or i know that 2000 xp etc are nt based.. maybe she did something on install that made it nt not windows the folder.. windows xp if set up as a server have winnt instead of windows? nt is a server well network thing right?

maybe the computer was part of a network b4? im lost lol

6. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

nope no luck there anyone any ideas?

7. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

pls someone ?

8. JayT

JayT

Try using the following command to register the dll. Start -Run- (if Winxp) CMD) C:\WINNT\System32\REGSVR32 msinet.ocx.Ok. Since the system is so messed up, I don't know if it will work, but it won't hurt to try it.

If that doesn't work you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the program she needs to use. That might put the dll file where it belongs. Before you do that however, you should remove or rename the one you put in System 32.

You can also download (in zipped form) this ocx file from here:

http://www.e-systems.ro/download-ocx/msinet.ocx/

Download MSINET.ocx and copy it into the \windows\system32 directory.

Then, open the run dialog box using "Start > Run..."
    and enter "Regsvr32 MSINET.ocx" to register the DLL

If this doesn't work, I am at a loss -except to suggest that you might want to format and do a clean install of WinXp. I bet that would solve a lot of problems.

9. big_pimp

big_pimp Thread Starter

C:\WINNT\System32\REGSVR32 msinet.ocx

as soon as i saw that.. i knew it was going to work. seems so obvious but its about the only thing i havent tried lol... i still cant figureout why she has winnt instead of windows folder

but danggg so obvious.. sometimes a fresh pair of eyes is all it needs

tyvvm bro

dllregisterserver in msinet.ocx succeeded

10. JayT

JayT

You are very welcome. Glad I could help. (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/301472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice