1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't reinstall/repair Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sciencekidbj, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sciencekidbj

sciencekidbj Thread Starter

I have a Dell Deminsion 9100 with Windows XP on it. I have a problem with my Windows\system32\config\system file and I need to either reinstall windows or repair the file. However, when I boot into the windows installation disk and it shows the screen that gives me the option to install, repair, or exit it doesn't seem to recognize my keyboard, even though it recognizes it every where else. This happens with any copy of windows that I try to use. I have used every usb port it has to run the keyboard, including using differant keybaords and adapters. It has no ps2 ports. I have used multiple dvd drives. I honestly don't know what to try next.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There's an option to change keyboards with, I think, three possibilities you can try. That option appears at the bottom of the screen around the time the version of XP you wish to repair appears at the top so it's easy to miss. You might also benefit from going into BIOS and enabling USB Legacy Support if the option exists.

What stage do you get to before realising the keyboard isn't working? You need it at least twice before getting to the stage described above. Once you do get through to the Repair option, you could save reinstalling by copying the relevant file by using this syntax at the C:\ prompt:-

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system and agree to overwrite. It will be an older copy than yours and you may lose some drivers but the Dell site has them all.

3. RANJIT56

RANJIT56

It also may be due to faulty ram because when installing the os the temp files are created on ram and accessed from their and if Ram is faulty then it will not load os it will give blue dump so just check by replacing the Ram

4. sciencekidbj

sciencekidbj Thread Starter

I can use my key board in all places except on the screen where it says repair, install, or exit. so it shouldn't be a keyboard problem. I didn't think of the ram, it may be that, i don't have ram or money to buy ram to replace it though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice