1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't reinstall Win98 from Recovery CD

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mpw2003, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpw2003

mpw2003 Thread Starter

pls help! i have been searching through postings and found some relevant stuff but need further info so here's the problem: sister's 3 yr old HP Pavilion is just nasty. she has let others use her PC for internet access for a couple of yrs without (get this) any active virus protection, so the thing is mass infected. found out the CD rom was bad, so installed another one and then tried to reinstall win98 from the HP recovery CD and won't work no matter what i try. found a post on 7/15/03 that sez this: " It is common for recovery disks not to operate in drives other than the original hardware. I don't know of a workaround for that. " so am i stuck or what? how can i get win98 reinstalled if i can't use the backup recovery CD that came with the machine? if i reformat the hard drive and don't have a copy of win98 to restore what do i do? my kids and i have 3 other PCs (one win98, 2 winXP) but i don't own just a standalone copy of win98. HP was helping me and then they realized that the PC was no longer under warranty -- they had me change BIOS to boot from the CD drive (that didn't work), they had me change the default CD drive from D to M (that didn't work) and now i read your post that since we changed hardware this may not work. any suggestions would be appreciated...i need to get this monster off my dining room table and back to sis if possible. THANK YOU!!!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Here's the thing, with an similar HP/Compaq/IBM machine (Hard Drives (HDD) and RAM are not included here) if you've added a CD-ROM, video card, sound card or modem, for example, the Recovery process can't proceed. Only the original or factory authorized replacement hardware, once again - HDD and RAM not included, must be plugged into the main board for the Recover process to proceed correctly.

Please see the following printable attachment/tutorial where the second part tells you how to re-install Windows from scratch. Yes you'll have to procure a copy of Win98 (WinMe preferably). Read the attachment carefully - note the difference if you use a Upgrade or Full version of Windows.

Attached Files:

3. mpw2003

mpw2003 Thread Starter

thanks, Styxx. this sounds like it is bigger than i am!!! what if i reconnect the old CD-ROM? maybe i was wrong. maybe it will work this time! can you tell i'm in severe denial? i can see myself packing this bad boy up and hauling it off to the mom-and-pop PC repair shop down the street right now. what started all this was the slow and screwy boot up process that is going on with this PC...is there a way to disinfect it so that it will work again without having to reload win98? i tried loading Norton and got it loaded but can't download the Norton updates due to the thousands of popups and disconnects i get when i try to run it. thank you!!!

4. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

I would advise to try and minimise the net activity by running some ad-aware software probably best with spybot, try to update it before you run it first, that might let you get norton on the machine

5. mpw2003

mpw2003 Thread Starter

thank you for your response...i have not tried that but i will and will let you know how that comes out. i really don't want to reinstall win98 if i don't have to!

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice