1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant reinstall windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rcarr82981, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rcarr82981

Rcarr82981 Thread Starter

Something got corrupted with my windows operating system.system restore and repair dont work,the only way I can see to fix it is to reinstall windows but I dont have enough free hard drive space to do it.and I cant access windows to delete any files.indont have a second computer to try to take the hard drive out and use it as an external drive to delete files.any help is much appreciated.its a Asus notebook I believe.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    One option would be to purchase another disk and a caddy for the old one. Then do a clean install on the new disk and attach the old one as an external drive.

If you don't have access to another computer where you could download any utilities it'll be difficult to do anything else.

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

A clean install will wipe the drive of all data and reinstall windows.

4. Rcarr82981

It wont let me do a clean install because of not enough hard drive space.was trying to see if maybe I could delete some things using c: prompt or some other way without having to buy anything else,moneys pretty tight right now

5. wbennett77

wbennett77

When doing the clean install, delete all the partitions currently on the drive that Windows is installed on before proceeding.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Sorry to be so blunt here....
    Obviously you don't know what a clean install is or how to perform one. The whole purpose of a clean install it to wipe the entire drive. There are plenty of youtube videos out there that shows how to do this. There's a good chance there's one for your specific make/model PC. Google is your friend.....

7. Rcarr82981

I understand what a clean install is,but the only part of the laptop I can access is a blue screen with options to troubleshoot,automatic repair(which wont work),system recovery(wont work),and reset this pc,in reset this pc theres 2 options keep files or completely remove files,both options say not enough hard drive space to perform actions,please free up hard drive space.i cant get into windows to delete anything,is there some other way besides buying external hard drive cases and finding another computer somewhere to delete enough things to free up space for a fresh install?

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Watch the video from 1:40 it describes the correct way to do a clean install.

9. Rcarr82981

I cant access windows to download anything onto a usb,if I could I could just delete things to free up space.i only have one computer

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Exactly....and thank you.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. :)

12. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Dude...you have to start thinking out of the box. Go get you a 8 gb USB drive. Then go to friends house or the library and download the MCT from MS. The follow the video on the clean install.

13. Rcarr82981

Except the only friends I have with computers have macs,and I work 12 hr overnight shifts and cant make the library on the whole 2 days a week their open.thats why I was trying to see if there was some way to format the drive using c:/ prompt or something like that

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

No.....it's a physical process. At one time, I though you could buy the install media for like $10. Not sure.

15. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice