1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't reinstall windows vista home premium

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kingo174, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingo174

kingo174 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Oscar
    I was recently given a Dell Inspiron 1720,it had a bad hard drive,so I bought another one and had it installed,the laptop bios recognizes the new hard drive,so I try to reinstall windows vista home premium,but when I try to boot from the dvd drive,it will not boot,but instead it says no bootable devices,so how can I fix this problem and reinstall windows vista home premium on this new hard drive.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make the optical drive first in the list of bootable devices to make sure it is accessed. Try booting the installation DVD on another computer to make sure it is good.

3. kingo174

kingo174 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Oscar
    Thanks I will try it,but won't that wipe the operating system off the other computer?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I only said to try to boot the DVD. :) After booting there is a pause until you tell it what to do next--repair, partition, format, install, ... . At that point you just eject the DVD and reboot (from the hard drive) to get back to the normal OS.

5. kingo174

kingo174 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Oscar
    I tried what you said,but it did not work.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "it did not work" means that the DVD failed to boot on two different computers then it is probably defective.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop?
    What exactly are you using to try to install Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit in it?

If that's a legitimate bootable DVD and you have the disc drive set first in the boot order in the BIOS, a
    Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
    command should appear when you boot from that disc.
    The command will disappear in 4 - 5 seconds, so you need to press any key before it does.
    It's then a matter of formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice