cant remember were to find history for ie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fergy73

hi,i feel really stupid at the moment,im no teckie or anything,but i know my way around a pc.My problen is i cant remember where to find the history for ie,i dont want the history where u click on the history icon on the toolbar of ie,i want the full page that lists all sites visited in order with date and time on it,so i can see who has been visiting certain sites at what day,time(as in my kids).i know,as i usually look at this info,but for the life off me i cannot remember.appreciate any help,thanks(y)

Do you mean index.dat files? You can't open the current one because its always 'in use', but the older ones should open.

You can also get free index.dat viewers, like the one mentioned at the foot of this page; http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm It's called @Winspy and good security programs will flag it as a risk because it does collect info on your system.

History Button on the Toolbar should open the left panel - then you can right click any link and choose Properties to see date and time.

If you meant the History folder....c:\windows\history

sekirt

Go Tools >> Folder Options >> View - Click Show Hidden Files and Folders

Go C:\Documents and Settings\&user\Local Settings\

Temporary Internet Files is the cache for IE hope that helps

Just unclick Show Hidden Files and Folders to remove the hidden folders from ur view

You said u wanted a full log in IE press 'Crtl' + 'H" this will bring up all the histroy which will give u somewhat a log of what has been accessed

Hope this helps
Peace out
Justin

open up explorer and go to this...but replace my user name with yours ;)

C:\Documents and Settings\MorrisoB\Local Settings\History\

fergy73

thanks sekirt,that helped,it wasnt exactly the one i was looking for,but it gave me alot of the info i was after.Is it possible that im looking for the temperary internet files,does that contain that sort of info?im running windows xp home ed sp2,how do i open explorer,i tried windows explorer,but that just takes me to my docs?

I am not quite sure if temporary internet files are what you want - but you can check. Again, once you are in a folder, you can right click and look at properties. That is standard throughout Windows.

I am on Windows 98se - so locations are slightly different for XP, as noted by the other posters.

If you go to Start->Programs. You should find Windows Explorer. When open, do you have a left pane and a right pane? In the left pane go down the tree (list) of folders. Clicking the little "+" sign will show you sub-folders. You can proceed from there to check your temporary internet files.

sekirt

Just downloaded the new version of WinSpy and it now has the Index.dat viewer built it so you can choose the dat file to view.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online