1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't remove partition!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grog, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grog

Grog Thread Starter

I've got a Maxtor 90845D4 8G drive that I used have Windows 2000 loaded on. I'm now trying to re-format the drive with no luck. I can't get FDISK to remove or erase the partition. FDISK shows an "Extended DOS" partition. When I try to remove it, it says to first remove the logical drive. When I try to remove the logical drive it says there is none. Any suggestions? Ther's nothing on this disk I need, but I do need the drive....

2. deuce

deuce

Welcome to the board!

Well... I haven't used FDisk in a long time so I don't remember exactly everything about... and I am afraid to try to explain as I am sure someone will shoot me down for being incorrect... but here goes anyway. Theoretically you delete logical drives, than the extended and then the primary...but it seems you are having trouble there. Do you need to use Fdisk? Do you still have the MaxBlast software? If you do, use that and just reformat and you don't have to worry about dealing with fdisk... It makes it simple and quick. :) Also... if you just delete the drive from dos then when you load win2K or whatever you are going to use it will automatically format it for you... assuming you only want one partition.

3. brianF

brianF

You probably need to run setup from the 2k disk and have it remove the partition.

4. Grog

Grog Thread Starter

Both good suggestions... I'll try each. Thanks!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice