1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't remove some items from my recycle bin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by IanMarcias, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IanMarcias

IanMarcias Thread Starter

Weird problem... I have some items that just can't be removed from my recycle bin. I always get a pop saying that cannot delete because it's being used by another program. Even when there's no programs running (except for the ones in the background).

Now I have an idea of why this is happening but i need some more assistance to finally ridding the problem. The problem only happens when i delete a file that's on my external hard drive. Also... i should add... that this problem only happens to files that i delete from the OPEN or SAVE AS windows rather than deleting from the file folder itself. For example if I were to go to a folder in my external hard drive and delete a file that way it's not a problem to empty it from the recycle bin... but if I was saving a file or opening a file from an app and I delete it from that dialog box those are the files that just can't seem to be remove from the recycle bin.

I know it's due to my external drive because when I turned it off the files are not in the recycle bin anymore. Now i tried using the Task Manager to turn off all processes dealing with my external hard drive but I still can't remove those files from the recycle bin; unless there are other files that i need to stop the process of.

Any suggestions? Oh yeah... I have a Maxtor 200GB external hard drive (if that is any help).

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I would think that if any process was attached to the file - you wouldn't be able to delete the file in the first place.
    Have you tried to clean it in the safe mode ??

Sometimes - I have something that looks like it's stuck in my recycle bin, but not under the conditions you described.
    When this happens - I run CCleaner .... http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp ... and tell it to clean the recycle bin.

3. IanMarcias

I tried it in safe mode but when I was in safe mode there was nothing in the recycle bin. I think when in safe mode you can't view the files that are in the external hard drive... i'm not sure... but i did try it in safe mode. I'll try the the CCleaner and let you know how it works out.

4. IanMarcias

Problem solved... CCleaner worked like a charm... THANX!!!!

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm thinking, that when this happens -
    There is really nothing in the recycle bin - it just doesn't know it's empty and doesn't put the flag down.

Anyway - I run Ccleaner several times day - usually after I get off the net and always just before scanning for malware.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice