1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't repair my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tzuyu, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm writing this post because I currently am hopeless about my PC. Basically, I get no signal on my monitor and the GPU fans start spinning then stop after 10-15 seconds.

Something happened when I was cleaning my computer. I did everything like I always did and never had an issue. The difference is that I removed the CPU fan in order to clean it and also to apply new thermal paste (I didn't remove the CPU).

I used a dry air can to remove the dust. When I finished cleaning it, I started the computer. The first time I started it, all the lights turned on then turned off and the computer was doing that in a loop. The fans were starting then stopping and so on.

So what I decided to do was to remove and CPU and replace it better. Somehow, it fixed this issue of continuously rebooting, but showed another issue : the no signal thing.

When I turn my computer on now, everything starts correctly as usual. But the monitor says no display, and the GPU fans stop spinning even tho they always spun normally.

I tried with another very old GPU, still no signal but the fans of the GPU don't stop spinning. I tried with a DVI cable (I use DP cable usually), doesn't work.

I also tried removing the RAM sticks as a website I was browsing advised and it didn't help.

The CPU is an i5 7600k (non overclocked) and the GPU is a GTX 1070 FTW from EVGA (non overclocked aswell). Motherboard is an ASUS Z270-A Pro.

I'm helpless it's been 2-3 weeks and I have work to do for school and I have until mid October to do it. I tried everything I could, I am not very knowledgeable in computers, even tho I built it myself (took me 6 hours haha).

I also have no money to buy new parts so I have to repair it.

Thank you for your help in advance !

2. replay

replay

is it a stock intel fan.... if so they can be a PIA to reinstall, go back and check your work

3. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

It was an Hyper 212 EVO. It always worked perfectly I don't think it is the reason why I have my problem

4. macrobatics

macrobatics

Verify your cpu fan is secured properly to the motherboard. If you're using the stock intel fan they have the plastic twist locks so I would make sure they're tightened properly.

Eliminate the graphics card for now and stick to the onboard graphics for troubleshooting. Your goal should be for your computer to POST and be stable in BIOS/UEFI.

FYI, double check monitor and cable are good

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The coolermaster 212 type coolers are excellent however they are not the easiest things to install. Go back and recheck your work. Some common errors with a 212;
    1 The bottom of the cooler is contacting a ram chip, northbridge heatsink, etc. This prevents the heatpipes from making contact with the cpu
    2 Fan not oriented correctly. This will not cause a no POST condition however you should have the fan installed to blow air through the cooler and out toward an exhaust fan not back toward the center of the case
    3 Hold down assembly not centered correctly; this leads to poor contact again.

The cooler must contact the cpu with a minimum of 15lb clamping force; less than that and you do not get good heat transfer

6. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

I'll do that as soon as I get back at home. I just don't get why my GPU fans stop spinning after a while.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The 9xx and 10xx cards do shutoff the fan or fans when not needed. My 960 does this; it is actually kind of nice not hearing fan noise.

8. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

I did everything you guys told me, nothing worked..

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you broke something. Do some basic troubleshooting;
    1 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out your video card. Pull out any other add-in cards ie lan, sound, etc. You may not have any other cards; that is fine. Connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard
    3 Pull out the ram. Blow out the slots with a can of air. Reinstall a single ram chip in whatever socket your motherboard manual says to populate with one chip. Be sure the ram is fully seated
    4 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Again be sure they are fully seated
    5 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave the keyboard connected however be sure it is connected to a rear motherboard port and not one on the case
    6 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Replace the jumper to the normal or keep position
    7 Now pw ON and see if the motherboard will complete POST ie you get a display either the motherboard splash screen or POST data

If your board does POST in the above config, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, you need to swap parts with known good units ie motherboard, pw supply, ram, cpu until you find the failed part.

macrobatics likes this.
  10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As my colleague has said in post 9
    Also although at this stage it is very much, little more than an educated guess I think
    what may have occurred is that in removing the cooler, you dislodged the CPU, although it should not have occurred unless in removing the cooler you caught the clip fastening of the cpu plate

On replacing the cooler the cpu did not sit correctly in its socket hence the loop.
    You then took out the cpu and replaced it - I am not sure what you mean by
    replace it better.

However the damage if I am correct was then done and although the correct placement of the CPU stopped the boot loop - the damage has effected the communication between the CPU and the GPU

The i5 7600K CPU has integrated graphics
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics 630
    The motherboard if I have the correct Asus Z270 APro
    has graphic ports on the I/O plate

I doubt it will get you anywhere but it is worth a try connecting to the integrated graphics.
    Take OUT the card and without the card the system should attempt to boot to the integrated graphics.

As I said I have no real way of knowing the cause at this stage, but the sequence of events tends I think to suggest the CPU

11. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

Alright so it's been a while, I've bought a new motherboard and I do have a signal and can get into Bios. Problem is I have an issue that tells me that " smart detected HDD/SSD failure 1 ". I have no idea what it is, and I can't backup my data I have one computer only. Do you guys know how to disable that smart thing information?

Thank you

EDIT : The new motherboard is an ASUS Prime Z-270-A.

EDIT 2 : Alright nvm lmfao I have the same issue as before. I powered off my computer, powered it back one, and there, same bug again.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. Macboatmaster

I am sure you know what the abbreviations are but I do not

Were everything to be Ok with the drive itself either the platters in the case of a traditional spinning hard drive or the chips on an SSD it would mean that it was not properly connected

If it was properly connected then it would mean that the drive is failing or there is a voltage problem OR it can be a temperature problem
    A S.M.A.R.T. warning based on excessive average temperature is common, and can sometimes be fixed by improving ventilation. Check to see if your system has adequate ventilation and that all fans are in good working order.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  13. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

Well not that it really matters now.. I again have no signal. I actually only powered off then on and after that no signal anymore.

14. Macboatmaster

I think you have either a PSU fault or the CPU was damaged as previously mentioned
    Maybe it is time to take the computer to a repair shop, although of course it will cost it may prove to be less expensive than the solution of replacing parts

15. Tzuyu

Tzuyu Thread Starter

Neither the CPU nor the PSU is at fault. It literally worked 10s before. For some reason, when I unplugged the keyboard or the mouse it worked. Now that truck doesn't help me.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice