1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't replace bios password after warranty replacement of mouse pad toshiba notebook?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taht, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taht

taht Thread Starter

I just had my toshiba satellite 2410, pentium 4, xp-sp2, mobile processor,512 RAM, 40 gigs into the authorize warranty depot for a replacement of the mouse pad as the warranty was almost up.
    It is now over. (this was May 23) I had called a week and a half earlier, however they said the parts were delayed and did not arrive until the day before my warranty was up.

I had to go in for medical surgery directly after and did not use the computer until this past week and noticed when I took the notebook down to my software techie who was removing Norton Systemworks for me as I don't how to do it cleanly, that my BIOS password was not in place.

He tried to replace it, however it would not set.
    I phoned the warranty depot and I am not a tech oriented person and know little about BIOS and I should say that my software techie called them as well.

I should say that I have used this software techie since I have owned the computer and he knew that I had a BIOS password and so he discussed the issue with the warranty depot tech who replaced my mouse pad.
    The tech replied that he did not touch my main board and thus it was not his fault and he told my software techie to have me call him, which I did.

I told him that I noticed that he did not boot my computer in front of me when he had me test the mousepad, that he brought out my notebook from the back room repair station and had me check out the mouse pads which worked fine and then he also mentioned that he had looked at my PCMCIA slot pins visually and used the air duster on it but could see no issues.
    I mention this as I advised him via phone before I went to have the mouse pads replaced that I had just recently had a problem with the PC card not recognizing my hardware and so I asked him to check it as the warranty was nearing its end. I should also comment that the PC card was working when I took it into the shop and so we discussed the fact that I may not have seated the card in the slot so that there was a good contact and that was the end of the discussion.
    Since I did not use my notebook due to my health until last week, I had no realization that the BIOS password was not working.

On the phone he said I must have possibly had the computer near moisture, which I definitely did not.
    He admitted that he had not seen a notebook so free of dust in the openings and in overall such good shape, as he indicated he sees so many with food etc. on them and my computer was in excellent condition as he put it.
    I told him I am an accountant and don't eat around my computer etc. and I also use the air duster compressed air on it weekly into all the openings and have for the past 3 years that I have owned it.

Now the warranty depot says that my main board likely has an issue with the BIOS chip and that they charge $75/hr and that the board will cost $250 - $400.

I had to pull teeth to get documentation on the work that was done under warranty and noted that the mouse pad part was "Used" and the area where "Condition" was categorized was "blank". But that was after I got the computer back to work as I was in a hurry when I left.
    I never thought that I should have had him boot the computer when I was there.

He says there is no "jumper" on this notebook whatever that is and that he did not disconnect anything, that my main board coincidentally must have given out right after I left his shop.
    He claims that there was no BIOS password on the unit and I told him it was working when I booted my notebook an hour before I brought it to this Toshiba authorized depot???

There are no updates for the BIOS on this notebook as my software techie checked for this on Toshiba's Support site and he tried again to put in my password and it would not work???

My software techie does repairs to computers but PC's, not notebooks.

Is there a special way to put in a BIOS password on a notebook?

All the warranty depot has indicated to me is that I should call them next week and out of the goodness of their heart they will update the BIOS from the Toshiba support site, and I again mentioned that there is no update there and they will attempt to put in a BIOS password and this will take 10 minutes and no charge for it.

If it does not work I need a new main board that I will have to pay for as it is out of warranty.
    This Warranty depot is contracted out by Toshiba and it is only this one Tech who works on them.
    My notebook has been in twice before, the first time to replace the keyboard and LCD screen and the next time for replacement of the wheel on the mouse pad.
    At those times I advised them that I had a BIOS password and my Windows password, however they did not need them but said they noted it on their file.

The tech that did the Initial work on the computer is no longer there, they said he was fired.

I wanted to post here to see what suggestions there might be.
    Is there a special way to add a BIOS password on my notebook that my software Techie who specializes in PC's would not know about??

It just seems too coincidental to now have my BIOS password quit just like that.

It was Toshiba that instructed me over the phone as to how to install it when I first got my computer as management has all of our notebooks with BIOS passwords.
    Now of course Toshiba will not speak to me regarding this notebook b/c it is out of warranty, as I would like to try to put back the password per their instructions.

I am not comfortable to take the notebook back to the same Warranty Depot as something else may go wrong and then they will again say it is a coincidence and tell me how much to repair it.

I would appreciate all comments as I am in a demise! (n) with the Depot's responses.

Thankyou.

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

3. mcse72

mcse72

If the BIOS password is not being taken, the only thing that comes to mind to try would be to create a blank password by hitting 'enter' when prompted to create/confirm password, save/exit and then try and set the real password again.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If any of the problems you have were caused by any warrantee work whether the warrantee is up or not makes no difference, I suggest calling the manufacturer back or the place that did the work. Somebody goofed up.

5. taht

taht Thread Starter

Thx for the replies, I do have a call into Toshiba and am having a horrible time getting to the Head Office as I want all of this documented and want this warranty Authorized Dealer checked out and most of all I want my BIOS password back working at start up. Right now Toshiba's Support is out of Manila as of recent date and I want to have someone check out this Dealer here in Canada and check his practices. I will have to try to get this escalated to the supervisor level.

I have read the PDF file that the one member sent the Link to and read and re read, however I am not a tech person. But it does make me wonder if the BIOS password was messed with so that it does need to be cleared with so that I can put my own back in.
    Is there a possibility that it has been changed and therefore won't accept mine or that it is set back at default which was with no BIOS password, but then it should accept one I would think unless the Tech put something in there so it rejects.

This is simply all too coincidental to have this occur after I had to wait for a Used mouse pad that was back ordered and was able to be installed the day before my warranty ran out. And I told the Tech that I had to pick the notebook up that day and would not be using it right away b/c of my medical appointment.

I am not certain what I should be trying to do here even after reviewing the PDF file.

Again, thankyou for the comments and if there are further suggestions I would appreciate them as this is me>>>>:confused: as I am not tech oriented.
    Thankyou.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I just happened to be looking around and found this web site. I do not know if it will work but if you can not get anything out of Toshiba and want to try this it is up to you. Personally I would wait and see what Toshiba does.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/

7. taht

taht Thread Starter

Thankyou for the additional suggestion. What I would really like to understand is how could the Tech replace the mousepad on the notebook and be able to access my BIOS password and Windows password so that he had it booted when he brought it out to me; for me to use operating off the battery and he had not asked me for any of this information when he took the notebook in.

He said that he would replace the mousepad and be back shortly and so I presumed that he would be asking for the passwords when he came back.
    Of course I was not thinking correctly, when he came out and said here do you want to test it out.
    And I did and it worked well and I shut it off.

Not being a tech, is there a possibility that there now maybe a problem with my setting of my BIOS password as a result of his manner??? of how he booted my computer not knowing the passwords or is this just simply the way tech's operate?

I ask this question so that I will be able to talk more informed to the Head Office tomorrow as I want to speak to a supervisor in the Authorized Dealer dept.

I look forward to any comments regarding this question, thankyou.

8. Sequal7

Sequal7

Your certain that it was a BIOS password and not a disk lock password?

BIOS passwords in most laptops are stored in a special chip on the motherboard and the only way to bypass this password is to replace that laptop security chip, you can buy blank ones that require soldering to your mainboard and allow you to re-create a password.
    It is just oo much a co-incident that the chip went just one hour after you tested it, but before the tech shop repaired it... I would seriously question this repair too.

Some Toshiba laptop or notebook models are secured by either Parallel or USB Security Access Keys, these "keys" feature a dongle that attaches to the Parallel or USB ports, and allows for the bypass of BIOS passwords for the listed models that each key supports.
    Each Key works only on the models listed for it and it is possible that they use one, given they are an authorized dealer or repair facility. These solutions do not require any complex installation and they dont need to know your passwords to access the computer.

It could be purely co-incidental, but I would confirm how he accessed your computer (if you indeed had a password set and verified it just one hour earlier)

9. taht

taht Thread Starter

It was a BIOS password, we all have our own individual ones at work. The fellow that insures that my work software programs are installed properly discussed with the repair depot the fact that this password was working fine just hours before I took the notebook in for the mouse pad replacement.

Then after that mouse pad replacement was completed, the necessity of putting in the password disappeared.
    And the repair depot says that it is the integrated chip on the main board that is gone coincidentally after this repair job and my warranty is up and the tech quotes the price it would be to fix it.:rolleyes:
    And further suggests to me that some moisture may have gotten into my notebook???? Where did that occur?? Not by me that is for sure!
    I simply don't get it.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

BIOS passwords on most Toshiba's can be bypassed and cleared by authorised service agents using a "physical hardware device" (which we will not elaborate on here for obvious reasons).

That would explain how they were able to boot it up?

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Also if they accidentally left the "hardware intervention" in place it would probably prevent applying the password....?

But I am not aware of the exact method for the latest Toshiba's, so don't ask me...

My new Toshiba "appears" to have the normal BIOS password but in fact its a HDD lock password, which appears to the user in the same manner, however I am unaware of any way around those.

12. Sequal7

Sequal7

Your post sounds allot like my post just before you kiwiguy....:rolleyes:

The key is a dongle, looks much like a secure digital usb key. There is no chance it was left in by accident. There is no user workaround for the hdd lock.

13. taht

taht Thread Starter

Is this inside the notebook then? I have been in contact with toshiba re the way this has occurred and how this warranty depot is crystal balling that my mainboard integrated chip is gone as I phoned 2 other toshiba warranty depots and discussed the matter with them and they replied that they would require me to bring the notebook in so that it can be checked in order to determine the cause of the problem, however, since the notebook is out of warranty it would cost me $50 to do this.

I am not doing anything until I hear from toshiba regarding my created case # as the issue has been escalated from the supervisor to a manager and they are going to talk to the repair depot that did the work and advise when they have done that and as well as talk to my software tech who spoke with the branch manager at that depot in respect of what work they actually did on the notebook, as he explained the issue that was now occurring re no request for a BIOS password.

If there is no work around this does that mean that if it is this that; it could be removed by an authorized depot if toshiba finally allows something to be done about it?

My software tech that deals with my installs for work attempted several times to reset the password ( he has 20 yrs experience) and it would not take and he does not want to invalidate my case file that I have open with toshiba as he and i both feel that i should not have to pay to find out what caused this problem directly after warranty work was done.

Especially since the tech eagerly tells me over the phone the diagnosis of the problem and the cost to repair it.(does he have a crystal ball unlike the other toshiba warranty depots and can diagnose over the phone? my doctor can't do this.

I simply wondered if this is a permanent situation or if the notebook can be opened and the "hardward intervention" if that is what it is can be reversed?

Thankyou :confused: , obviously I am no techie!!

And BTW, I sincerely appreciate the comments as this is the way I become a little more computer savvy. Best Regards.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice