1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't reset IE homepage

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zygold1954, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zygold1954

zygold1954 Thread Starter

I am using IE6,a family member has set the default homepage to a particular wesite of their choosing and I try to reset it to another web page or blank. I click on the button in internet tools to do this and press apply and it appears to have worked. But when restarting Internet Explorer the change has not taken effect.How can I solve this problem, is threre a way of editing the registry to do this?
    I am running XP home / SP2

2. Fidelista

Fidelista

Are you running a security program that can lock your homepage ?. Spybot ?
    >f

3. zygold1954

I am running spybot and checked all settings (including advanced) , nothing apparently locking the IE homepage. Have also checked various other utilities installed to see if they might be preventing any change.Nothing apparent.
    Thanks.

4. Pistoff

Pistoff

I do not usually endorse reg edits but this does work.
    Change the Default Internet Explorer Search Page
    Start/Run/Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Value Name: Search Bar, Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value), Value Data: Search URL. Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called 'Search Bar' and edit the value according to the settings below. Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect. Note: This tweak can also be applied on a per-user basis under the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER] hive.

5. zygold1954

Hello
    I tried your suggested registry tweak and replaced the web page address with another but the modification didnt take effect (I found it in Local User area, not in local machine area).
    Err? What were the "settings below" you referred to?

6. jcroix2002

jcroix2002

run hijack this and delete the present homepage if seen (usually Ro)
    your browser may have benn hijacked

jcroix2002

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice