1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Resolve IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linskyjack, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linskyjack

linskyjack Thread Starter

Hello,

I just went from DSL to Cable. My problem is that my nic 3Com gigbit LOM doesn't seem to be able to resolve an IP---I get 0.0.0.0 I know its not the 3com because it works fine when I discconect and go back to DSL (man am I glad I diddn't cancel my DSL yet) Reloaded drivers, rebooted cable modem etc. Just as a long shot, I thought I would ask in here before canceling the service. Its OOL by the way.

2. natcom

natcom

Get the latest drivers for your network card and did you get some kind of setup cd ?

3. tronh

tronh

you need to check with your ISP. The cable modem may be configured as a bridge or as a router, but you should be getting an IP address from the ISP edge router (if your modem is in bridge mode) or from the modem itself if it is in router mode. DHCP may not be enabled by default on the cable modem, or they may have accidentally sent you one that was not configured, or it may be fubar and in need of replacement. ISP should be able to access it remotely if it is working at all.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since your DSL is probably using PPPoE, you may have to reconfigure your networking or uninstall the DSL software that you installed to use the DSL service.

5. linskyjack

Nope---to all of the above. I never installed PPPoe for my DSL, I have the latest drivers, already checked with my ISP (Cablevision--OOL ) and they reset modem. Just one of those technological mysteries.

6. tronh

tronh

back to the basics:
    do you get a link light when you connect to the ethernet port of the cable mdoem?
    can your ISP access your modem (you say they reset it, but can the ping and telnet to it?)
    Have they verified that the cable modem has DHCP enabled? (or that it's in bridge mode and that you should be getting an address from their network)?
    What OS are you using? If you are set for DHCP and there is no response to the DHCP broadcast request, you should default to the "autoconfiguration" IP address, not 0.0.0.0 (but that may be a config option in network properties).
    Do you see any packet activity on the ethernet port of your cable modem (assuming there is an activity LED) when it is attempting DHCP negotiation?
    Have you tried (at the command prompt): ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew? Or, in XP, a "repair" operation when looking at the connection status?

7. linskyjack

I can ping and telenet it--I get a perfectly lit display. No packet activity, I have renewed. IP's are assigned via Cable Vision--it wont assign me one. Wierd thing is that it has worked. although briefly--on reboot it wont work.

8. tronh

tronh

what operating system do you use? and do you have more than 1 network adapter?

You said you can ping and telnet it - from where? Not from your PC if you don't have an IP address. Did you mean that CableVision can ping and telnet to the modem?

Might be time for CableVision to come out and fix it.

9. linskyjack

I use Windows XP and only have the 3Com gigabit LOM chip as my NIC. I'm sorry--I meant to say I can't ping it----By the way---I had cable vision out here already--they got it running but as soon as I turned it off and then rebooted it wont work.

10. linskyjack

cable vision

11. downtime

downtime

Well, if they charged you for it, you might want to ask them to complete the job. If they didn't, call them back.

12. linskyjack

Found out that the problem is that my DHCP process was set to manual and thus it couldn't resolve the IP--now all works well

13. natcom

natcom

with in the cable moden ?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice