1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't restart computer; memory & hard drives not read

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lafaye, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lafaye

lafaye Thread Starter

Intel Pentium 4 motherboard, 3.0 Gh
    1G Ram
    Two 160 G WD Hard Drives81K1100 FG
    DVD Player and DVD-RW
    Windows XP Professional, SP1

I attempted to restart my computer after two programs stopped responding and could not be shut down. Shut down failed, so I manually turned off the computer.
    When I attempted to restart, the initial screen showed:
    Award Modular v.6 Bios,
    Intel i875P AGPSet BIOS for
    Main Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz (200X15)
    <CPUID:OF33 Patch ID:0007>
    After that, it fails to read the RAM or the hard drives and the screen stays as it is (although it begins to deteriorate over time.)
    The Bottom of the screen offers the DEL option to enter the BIOS, but it doesn't respond....
    Oooops, last night, I tried this repeatedly, and after some wait. This time, when I restarted so that I could report the readout, the computer started.
    Could that be the Power Supply, the memory, or the motherboard?
    TIA

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unfornately it could be just about anything at this point.

The first and easiest thing to try is to open up the case and find the CLEAR CMOS jumper. Move the jumper from the normal to the clear position for a few seconds then move it back. Do this with the power off. To find the location of this jumper refer to the motherboard manual which can also be downloaded from the web. It might also be nicely labelled on the motherboard itself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice