1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't restart/shut down pc without power button.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EnsRealissimum, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EnsRealissimum

EnsRealissimum Thread Starter

This may end up being some sort of software problem but it started to occur after I upgraded my CPU, RAM, and MOBO. I cannot shut down or restart my computer through the start menu anymore. I have to hold down the power button every time I want to shut it off or restart. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you connect the power button/panel to the motherboard ?

3. Twiki

Twiki

First Name:
    William
    Did you reinstall Windows? If not, deactivate the product code first then reinstall.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The last time that I had a similar issue, it was a Windows issue. And as noted above, if you haven't reinstalled Windows after the MB replacement (unless it was an exact replacement), then that would be the first step.

An OS reinstall is always recommended after a major hardware upgrade.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do understand that if your original copy of windows was OEM ie what comes with a dell, hp, etc, then you are going to need a new copy of windows. OEM type lic live and die with the original hardware. You change the motherboard and you need a new copy of windows.

If by chance you have a full retail ver of windows, you can install that on as many systems as you like provided it is installed on only one system at a time. If this is the case, you may need to call MS to activate your copy of windows however that is not a big deal at all.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice