1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Retrieve Data in My Documents Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deadgecko, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadgecko

deadgecko Thread Starter

A month ago I discovered a minor virus on my system and following Symantec directions had removed it, but when I went to put the computer into Safe Mode to finish the process, my install of XP Pro completely crashed (this was all on the C: drive). I tried to repair the install using the installation discs, but it turned out that my brother (who originally set up the system 1.5 years ago) had forgotten what the administrator password he'd used to install it was. Since I couldn't fix it that way, I instead I did a parallel install of XP Pro on my second harddrive (D: drive). That install now works fine and as far as I can tell I haven't lost any of the data on my system. The original C: drive install had two profiles on it which were password protected. I know both passwords and I can access the My Documents data for one of them, but not for the other.

So here's the problem, all of my personal files which I really need are in the second My Documents folder. When I try to access it through the D: drive Windows install it just says it's not accessible and that access is denied. The C: drive windows installation is still messed up and I can't access any aspect of (i.e it won't go into Safe mode or anything). How can I rescue my files and move them over to the D: drive so I can reformat the C: drive?

I'm running an Intel Pentium 4, 2.40 Ghz, 1.79 Ghz, 512 MB of Ram, two hard drives of 80 gigs each. Windows XP Professional, 2002 edition.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Ali

2. mobo

mobo

What you can try is to access the first install (C) with a bootdisk that you reboot with . After rebooting try to change the administrator password for the c drive then see if you can get access to it.. bootdisk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!