1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't run anything except MS Office

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kkksmith, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkksmith

kkksmith Thread Starter

Hi,

It does not matter on which icon or shortcut I click the result is the same. Microsoft Access is loaded and the file is interpreted as a database. The same thing happens when trying to load something from the run line. When typing cmd to get to the command line the sime thing happens. Even clicking on anything in the control pannel does the same. I use Windows 2003 Server.

Any help will be much appreciated
    Koos

2. kkksmith

kkksmith Thread Starter

The problem seems be in the administrator profile only. Is there way to repair the built in administrator profile?

3. Dan O

Dan O

I suspect you setup a file assoication for .EXE to MS Access.

To remove it open My Computer, select Tools, Folder Options, and the File Types tab.

Then scroll down to EXE and delete it, which should fix the problem.

4. kkksmith

kkksmith Thread Starter

Exe is not listed under file types. This problem is only with administrator account. When I log in as any other user I don't have the problem. Could the association possibly be in the registry?

5. Dan O

Dan O

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!