1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't run virus scan or HJT

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Silvrbulit, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silvrbulit

Silvrbulit Thread Starter

I'm having a lot of trouble with not being able to run a HJT log or my virus scan. I'm getting a lot of pop-ups, "Virus Detected" down by my clock. I can't hit CTRL-ALT-DEL because it says its locked by the administrator and I can't go START-RUN, because RUN is not there.. If I try to run an online scan, it locks up my computer so I have to reboot it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thank you for any help, it will be appreciated.

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

If you need access to the Run line/box, you can hit Windows key + R.

But I would start by booting into Safe Mode (keep hitting the F8 key while the system is booting. If you get the OS's splash/load screen, it's too late and you will need to reboot) and trying to run your HJT and/or virus scanner.

3. Silvrbulit

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I'm at work now and have been afraid to turn the computer on at home because its doing a lot of weird things.

4. Silvrbulit

That worked. I had to change the name of HJT in order to get it run, but it ran. The virus scan locked up sometime in the middle of the scan, lost all my icons and the only option I had was to kill the computer.

If I post my HJT log in the Malware Removal and HiJack This forum will someone look at it for me?

By the way, thank you for your help.

5. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

I'm glad you were able to get a little further with your troubleshooting. (y) (y)

Yes, someone should be able to look it over and shed a little insight.

No thanks is necessary (but it's appreciated). ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice