1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't run windows scan disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by booradleyjr, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booradleyjr

booradleyjr Thread Starter

After my computer frozeup, I had to turn power off instead of Start/Shutdown. So when i started up it automatically did a SCAN DISC FOR ERRORS--there were no bad clusters.

But when I opened My Documents Folder on desktop, there are all these strange folders there that I can't DELETE--they will say-

"Cannot delete .dll,987.9,4 Access is denied.
    Make sure the disc is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."

OR--

"Cannot Delete: File System Error 1026"

When I try to OPEN any of these files, they will say,--

"C:/My Documents/=25,, 987.9,4 is not accessible.
    This folder was moved or removed."

There are sixteen folders like that with all different numbers. And 2 windows page emblems--

760 log.isc and 79,45760.m

And if I try to run Windows Scandisk or Defrag, they won't work.

Where did all these folders come from?

please help!!!

2. slipe

slipe

Boot to safe mode and see if you can run scandisk. Most computers get to the page that lets you select safe mode by tapping the Ctrl, F-8 or Esc key during boot. See if the instructions for your computer tell you which one.

If scandisk in safe mode doesn’t straighten things out you might want to restore an old registry. It appears that files have lost their registry links and restoring the registry from before the problem began has a good chance of fixing things for you. The registry makes a backup once a day and stores 5 backups. If you have had the problem for over 4 days the registry restore won’t work. You follow the same method you used to get to the page that let you start in safe mode, but use the down arrow to go to “Command prompt only” and enter. At the prompt type “Scanreg /Restore” and enter. Don’t use the quotes and note the space before the /. Choose a registry from before you had the problem. The registry from the day you had the problem should be OK as it makes the backup on the first boot of each calendar day. Once you select a good registry the computer will check it and reboot with the good registry.

3. booradleyjr

booradleyjr Thread Starter

sorry it took so long to reply...my computer crashed...i had to get a new hard drive. now i'm spending hours downloading stuff to put back. thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice