1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant save Excel file, file is in use

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xcoach, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xcoach

xcoach Thread Starter

About a week ago, I started having issues saving excel spreadsheets. If I try to save them, I get the message that file is currently in use, try again later. I can rename the file and save it, but when I open the new file again and try to save that, I get the same message again. No one else is using the files and I have done the following to try and resolve this:
    - deleted my profile on my primary Windows XP SP3 PC
    - went to a Windows 7 PC with the same results.
    - Ran Process Explorer to see which service has the file in use and got the message non-existent process

This only appears to be happening in Excel 2007, Word and PowerPoint are fine and no other users are reporting this issue. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Thanks for your help!!

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    One question, is it the file itsself or is it the personal.xls?

3. xcoach

xcoach Thread Starter

This is happening in all excel files, Im not sure what you mean by personal.xls

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    If you have storeed macro's they are generally stored in Personal.Xls which is a hidden file in the XLSSTART folder.
    Maybe somebody stored a file in Excel's homedir which is also the xlstart which opens too and therefore you get the message.
    In Windows 7 its C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

5. xcoach

xcoach Thread Starter

The spreadsheets that I have are fairly simple with no macros that I have created in them. Since my original post last month, at least 5 other people in my department are experiencing the same issue, some sporadically and others consistently. My gut feeling was this all started happening at the same time (around August 16, 2011), so I was thinking a patch was pushed that caused the problem. I have found a user that is not having the issues and compared patches and all are the same.

There seems to be a lot of chatter out there about this exact same problem, but no solutions especially from Microsoft.

6. Rockn

Rockn

It may be the Office file validation patch. Go to add/remove programs and see if it is listed there.

7. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Have de network administrators been 'playing' around with policies, I could be that you are allowed to add and edit but not remove, and if this is the case then it could be that the temporary excel file (hidden file starting with a ~) cannot be deleted and thus exists when you reopen a file. This hidden file is the one that checks if a file is in use or not so if it still exists Excel "thinks" it's in use.
    Take this up with your netwrok administrator, you must also have delet rights in this case

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice