1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Save Excel Workbook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by teddytech, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

When I attempted to save an Excel workbook, I couldn't because the file name had changed to a number. What should I do?

2. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

sometimes that will happen if there was a problem that occured while you were trying to save....excel saves as a wierd # so that you dont lose your data. Open the spreadsheet as the number and then do a save as and put in the name of the file that you want. Let me know if this helps

3. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

I think I had this problem before and I solved it by opening Excel first instead of opening the document, and lauching Excel that way. I don't have the problem when I open excel first. I just want to know how to fix it. Is there a bug in WIN98? or a patch that I need to solve the problem?

4. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

If you didnt have excel open how did you attempt to save a workbook? Were you in windows explorer or what?? help me understand

5. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

Opening Files:

1. My Computer>>C:/>>Folder Name>>File -- When I attempt to save, I'm given a number opposed to the file name.

2. Start>>Programs>>Excel>>File -- When I attempt to save, I can save with the original file name.

6. teddytech

teddytech Thread Starter

Apparently, Windows 98 is having a problem linking to Excel when I try to open without having the program opened first. Because it doesn't want me to lose any information, it assigns the file a number for its name.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice