1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant save files fromlatptop to desktop hard drive

Discussion in 'Networking' started by compgeek101, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compgeek101

compgeek101 Thread Starter

I have a wired network set up. I can access the files on y desktop from my maptop, but i cannot access the files on my laptop from my desktop. I also cannot save a file fromt he laptop to the desktop hard drive. ANy ideas? Thanks

2. murray654

murray654

What OS version are you running on each computer? Have you shared the folder that you want to save to? It is not recomended that you share the root of your HDD if you are connecting to the Internet ever.

3. compgeek101

I am running Windows XP Home on the desktop and XP Pro on the laptop. When i go to my netowrk places on the desktop it says shared folder (laptop) and when i try to open it it says access denied, you may not have access to this file, blah blah blah, talk to your administrator.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

So not only do you need the same user account on both computers but it has to have a password associated with it.

5. murray654

murray654

Are you using Simple File Sharing on the XP pro machine?

To turn on Simple File Sharing, perform the following steps:
    Open a window in either My Computer or Windows Explorer.
    Click Tools - Folder Options from the menu.
    Click the View tab.
    Mark the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) checkbox under the Advanced Settings section.
    Click OK.
    NOTE
    The Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available if the Windows XP Professional computer is a member of a Windows domain.

Above was edited from : http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=30421

Even if you are not using simple file sharing, try adding your user name (on the Windows XP Home Machine) as an administrator on the Windows XP Pro machine. This could give you access to everything on the XP Pro machine from the XP home machine... but I think you need to have a password associated with the user.

If you download and install the TweakUI Powertoy for Windows XP from the microsoft website, you can set your default user login and password, so you do not have to type it in every time.

6. compgeek101

When i went to a window in my computer i did what it sayd, but int he view part there is not a Use Simple File Sharing checkbox or anything to click, there is not an advanced button either. Also, am i supposed to do this on the XP Pro Or XP Home?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As murray654 states in the post, that would be from the XP Pro computer.

8. compgeek101

oh, lol thanks :)

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just to confirm, you are still getting the access denied error after the same user account (with the same non-blank password) was created on both computers.

10. compgeek101

yes i am

11. compgeek101

i turned off simple sharing as well

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are the following. Likely a lot is already working but you might as well start from the beginning. Also note #6 about turning off any firewall software.

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

13. compgeek101

My ip for the desktop is 192.168.0.2 and the laptop ip is 192.168.0.3, i tried to manually configure them so theat they were the same but i got amessage saying that a computer on the netowrk has that ip, please reconfigure. The DNS server is the same, the user names and passwords are the same. I just configured WEP on the router, should i take that off? Is that considered a firewall? I can ping the laptop by its address but not by its name.I could ping the desktop by its ip and by its name fromt he laptop. I could ping the laptop from the laptop by its ip and by its name. The ip scheme on both is the same, i got confused so ignore the first part of this message about same ip. Is the workgroup name the SSID? If it is we have the sam workgroup name. Any other ideas?

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

WEP is not the same as the firewall.

To disable it on XP:

Go to Start / Settings / Network Connections
    Right click on the network connection you want to change
    Select Properties
    Click on the Advanced tab
    Uncheck the box in Internet Connection Firewall

As the step 5, I would have the same workgroup name.

In general, when there are problems, remove as many unnecessary items or configurations as possible until you get it working. Then add them back in again one at a time. Otherwise there are too many possible locations for the source of the probelm.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can check the Workgroup name by:

Right clicking on My Computer
    Select Properties
    Click on the Computer Name tab
    Click on the Change button

All this was detailed on the page previously posted for how to network XP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice