1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cant Save Power Management Settings for: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by meridian2345, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meridian2345

meridian2345 Thread Starter

No matter how many times I try, I can not get the power management settings for this network adapter to save. I dont want the "only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby" to be checked off because I want to remotely access my office computer from home using my latop and logmein. If I uncheck the setting and place the work computer into standby, everything is fine until the computer is restarted, at which time the check box for all three options are checked off.

I am running windows Xp Pro with service pack 2

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That is a bad mistake UNLESS it is a 64 bit version which on that Dell I doubt it very much
    Support for XP without SP3 has finished.
    No security updates will be offered to you and even if you download them directly from Microsoft they are NOW written and have been since July 2010 for SP3, therefore installing them on SP2 may either NOT work or could cause other problems.

As per the details here
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

Your first task before we continue with any other suggestions is to download and install ALL critical updates including SP3.

SP3 itself may require other updates before it can be installed. See this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

Do that first please and then we can continue.

3. Macboatmaster

meridian2345

I am a little confused as on the 8 Nov you started this thread

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1025945-cant-modify-system-properties.html

You received advice which did not apparently solve the issue and you then posted
    I am not certain if you meant "Start Windows XP in clean boot state" or what, BUT DID YOU?

However more to the point on the original thread you said in your opening post

which unless I have missed it, and I do not think I have, you have NOT included in your opening post here.

There was actually NO need to start a new thread, it is the same problem. You could simply have continued on your original thread.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the options for the network card in your machine's Power Options. If the setting there conflicts with other settings, it may cause it to revert.

5. Macboatmaster

Elvandil

Just to avoid any confusion on the part of the OP I presume you agree that he should not continue to run with only SP2 as per my post 2.

Also he reports on the other thread that Apply is always greyed out.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't think he should even continue with XP, but, yes, if he wants to use XP, SP3 has added a great number of security enhancements.

I closed the other thread.

7. Macboatmaster

Saw that and sent you PM re closure.
    Just wanted to ensure that OP did not think that SP3 advice was not good.
    I think a lot of people missed the Microsoft publication regarding critical updates to XP no longer being suitable for SP2 installations.

8. meridian2345

Sorry for starting a second thread and creating confusion. I will try my best to clarify everything.

I started Windows XP in a clean boot state as described in method 2 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 but this didn't help the problem. I started a new thread because I started to realize that the apply button does become availble with certain actions. I am uncertain if my problem has to do with the apply button or with something related to the network adapter. Regardless, the problem comes down to this:

I want the network adapter to save my power management settings: first two boxes checked, third box unchecked (only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby). I can't get them to save when I restart my computer but until I restart the setting does stay.

I left out the information about the apply button being grayed out because I was able to get the button to appear un-grayed with certain actions but I can't remember exactly which actions and I am not at the computer now to re-check. I figured maybe this wasn't part of the problem so I left it out.

9. meridian2345

I tried playing with this a little. In the BIOS there are the power management options for wake from lan: off, on, and on with NIC ( i think). I have tried On, and ON + Nic with no change in the problem. When I restart I still have all three boxes for the network adapters defaulted to check marked (in network adapter properties).

I can't seem to log in using logemeIn when the third check mark is selected but otherwise it works great as long as the computer hasnt been shut down since we last de-selected the third option under device manager.

10. meridian2345

I will get SP3 tomorrow hopefully and set it up but I can't lose XP entirely for a little while. I have 2 other computers networked to this as a workgroup at my office and when I upgrade computers they will all get upgraded, but for now the speed is fine and I have no major reason to change operating systems on an older computer.

11. Macboatmaster

It is really not a question of changing the operarting system. It is a ONLY a matter of SP3 as I said in my post and for the reasons I outlined to you.
    If you sign in with the admin account is the situation the same with the Apply button.
    To do that on professional key Ctrl Alt delete twice at the welcome screen

See this article expanding the various choices.

12. meridian2345

Ok- SP3 has been installed and all other updates completed with Microsoft. I have fast user switching and the welcome screen disabled/bypassed so i logon with the traditional username and password screen.

I always login as one of the admin accounts. The apply button is grayed out for the admin accounts. Is that the normal for windows xp until a setting has been changed? I can get it to un-gray if I start to change the name of the computer - the apply button becomes depressable.

13. Macboatmaster

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice