1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cant save to cmos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harpm, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harpm

harpm Thread Starter

I have built a pc with a ecs pm800 m2 mb, celeron d 2.4 and 512 ddr 3200 400mhz. when I first booted this pc up I tried to configure the bios.
    Well everything went well but when I tried to save and exit it just freezes. I hit y and enter and nothing happens and I have to reboot. I have had the suggestion to flash the bios but I cant tell the bios to boot from the floppy to get to the cmd prompt for the flash. I cant do much of anything until I can get to save the configuration. Ever heard of this before? Please help.

2. Iffrat

Iffrat

try seting the bios back to defult.. and then try again.. you will have to look up the jumper config to know what jumper you need to use.. but its not that hard.. and if you cant find anything you can allways take the bat. out.. leave it out for a few.. and put it back in...

3. harpm

harpm Thread Starter

Have tried moving jumpers and moving them back and removing the batt.. I did not as you said leave the batt. out for a while. Does that make a diff? As far as setting the bios back to default, I have not been able to save any changes so the bios should be factory default.

4. Iffrat

Iffrat

well.. it might be something in the computer that is making it crash... i would take out EVERYTHING other then the video card.. if not on board.. and the ram... unplug everything other then that

5. harpm

harpm Thread Starter

Nothing but onboard stuff on there. I have even taken the cpu off and put it back. Ram out and back and everything else. I am really stuck. Thanks for your suggestions.

6. Iffrat

Iffrat

i am thinking that the board might have a problem its self.... sounds like you have the same problem i have... but my mobo does not even post... it runs.... but does nothing ... i think my new ram (that was bad) fried my 64bit mobo and maybe my cpu

7. harpm

harpm Thread Starter

I have considered a chipset problem but am hoping for a better answer. Your problem does not sound good. What do you mean by runs but nothing happens. Do you even get a read on your screen?

8. Iffrat

Iffrat

i mean it runs.. the mobo light turns on .. fans are on .... BUT NOTHING ELSE!!!

not even errors when i take the cmos bat out or the ram out.. it turns on and THAT IS IT

9. harpm

harpm Thread Starter

Only time I have had that happen to me, I only had one stick of ram in a dual channel system.

10. Iffrat

Iffrat

that mobo is not dual channel

11. harpm

harpm Thread Starter

No clue other than that. Thanks for your suggestions

12. Iffrat

Iffrat

hey anytime... i have been in school for a long time and have done alot of tech work over the past 5 years..... so i know a little something ... i am about 99% sure that my board is done... but i figured that it never hurt to ask.. thats how i gained most of the things i know...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice