1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't Save to Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by colin4955, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colin4955

colin4955 Thread Starter

i can't save any type of file to the desktop. the desktop is not listed in the Left frame
    [​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you said "Can't" instead of "extra clicks" I have to ask whether you can navigate there by Local Disk (C: ) - Users - Colin - Desktop? Or maybe by clicking on Colin in the address bar and then Desktop?

If you frequently save to the Desktop (I always do, and then move it to where I really want it) set the Desktop as the default save location in Firefox (Tools - Options - Main tab).

3. colin4955

colin4955 Thread Starter

the drop down is blank. see the pic
    [​IMG]

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The drop-down list you're looking at is a list of recently accessed folders. It's not a directory tree. This is a change in Windows 7. You can easily navigate to C:\Users\<username>\Desktop using the tree structure in the left pane.

You can also add Desktop to the Favorites library so it does show up as a direct link in the left pane.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...libraries-to-favorites-in-windows-7-explorer/

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So? Did you click on Colin in the address bar (see the pic in your initial post)? If so, did that not show the Desktop folder along with all the other stuff?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice