1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see add/remove program list.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XxsomethingxX, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XxsomethingxX

XxsomethingxX Thread Starter

I recently installed Mcafee. I defraged my computer and restarted it. When it loaded up I noticed that everything is taking 2x as long to load and it is taking me tons of time to even get the start button list up.

I was able to get into the add/remove program list but nothing was there. I waited for about 10 minutes and then nothing still, I don't know any other way to remove McAfee, I have a feeling that is the problem.

Anyone have an idea on how to remove McAfee, add/remove program list won't work here.

2. zabusant

zabusant

Well, go to the folder, where mcafee is installed and look for a file named uninstall/unwise, or just try "System Restore"

3. XxsomethingxX

System restore is disabled. It's a school computer.

4. zabusant

zabusant

well, then go to C:\Program Files\Mcafee and find the uninstall file (C:\ is just an example for the system drive, also \Mcafee is just a guess, probably something similair)

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

If this is a school computer and this means unless you have the permissions to do this sort of work and obviously you do not then I suggest getting in touch with the IT department and have them solve this problem for you. They the IT department are the only ones that can fix this and they will or should explain the rules for the network to you. Unless you have certain administrative permissions you can not do this installing of programs.

6. zabusant

zabusant

Well, he said he installed Mcafee, if this is not the case - I agree, you can't do anything on your own.

7. XxsomethingxX

I can install/uninstall just fine. The only thing they don't allow is system restore. I tried the start menu folder, no uninstall option.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!