1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can't see files on external harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by americamba, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. americamba

americamba Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 17763, Installed 20190311173619.000000-300
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (208 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (1666 GB Free); G: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO Lenovo Edge 15, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n R90JCJP6
    System: Lenovo, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n R90JCJP6R9N0B5C1500T
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I have a Seagate 4tb. It is recognized by the laptop but when I click on it in my File Explorer, it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". on the next line it says "Click continue to permanently get access to the folder". When I do this I get the message that is attached to this thread. Any of this familiar to someone?

any idea? I want to use the Seagate

thanks, Frank

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. americamba

Yup, I clicked on it and got the attachment below. I clicked around but couldn't get help. What should I do now? I feel good because it seems that this security tab is familiar to you. thanks

Attached Files:

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First, I don't run Windows 10.
    Second, I don't have Office installed so I can't "see" the docx file you posted.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Frank:

Please do this :-

Right-click Start > Disk Management, make the window full-screen and attach it to your reply the same way you did in your first post, as a JPG file.

6. americamba

This help? Thanks

Attached Files:

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the screenshot, it does help. Looks like you cloned Disk 0 to Disk 2.

In Disk Management again, right click on Disk 2 > Properties > Volumes tab and see if the Partition style shown there is MBR or GPT.

If it's MBR you can only use 2TB, to use all the space on the drive you need to change it to GPT.
    There are 2 ways to do that here :- https://www.aomeitech.com/articles/windows-10-convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html
    Both ways should not delete anything already on the 4TB drive. There is some risk of that though so if there's anything on there you don't have on Disk 0 back it up first.

After the change to GPT you should be able to see the whole 4TB in Disk Managment and format the unallocated space and make partition(s) there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  8. americamba

Hello again, I was away for a while. Sorry for the delay. First a question: In the Disk Mgt screenshot, Disk 2 indicates a little Kingston Flash drive. The ext hard drive is disk F. I don't know what I did to get it this way with no identifier. I did not continue according to your instructions until I check if this will take us where we want to go with cleaning up the ext hard drive. In the other screenshot of the File Explorer you can see that "Disk 2" has content. If I am wrong about this, sorry for wasting your time. Thanks for your help in this. I begin to see success winking at me diskMgtdec2019.jpg FileExpDe2019.jpg diskMgtdec2019.jpg FileExpDe2019.jpg diskMgtdec2019.jpg FileExpDe2019.jpg diskMgtdec2019.jpg FileExpDe2019.jpg diskMgtdec2019.jpg FileExpDe2019.jpg diskMgtdec2019.jpg FileExpDe2019.jpg .
    best, Frank

9. americamba

Hi Allan, If my last post was not clear, I am asking if I should go ahead with your instructions since disk 2 is a runty little flash drive (see my screenshots of the last post) and cannot be where I stupidly cloned the other drive. Does this info help you to continue helping me? thanks, Frank

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes, do what I said in post #7 but do it to the Disk Number that shows as 1863.00 GB in Disk Management (DM) which is actually the 4TB drive. (forget about drive letters for this, use the Disk number shown in DM)

It might be easier if you disconnect the Kingston Usb stick first.

If you're unsure post a new screenshot of DM and I'll tell you which disk number to work on.

11. americamba

Allan,

You said: If you're unsure post a new screenshot of DM and I'll tell you which disk number to work on.
    Yeah, you better hold my hand. Screenshot attached. What's next? I don't see a 1863.00 GB Disk. What does "work on" mean? thanks, Frank

Attached Files:

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Disk 1 is the 1863.00GB hard drive, which is actually the 4TB drive, shown at the lower left of the new screenshot where it says Disk 1 in bold. The Disk numbers are for the whole drive, the 'drive' letters are for partitions on those drives.

In Disk Management, right click on Disk 1 > Properties > Volumes tab and tell me if the Partition style shown there is MBR or GPT. I think it will be MBR but please confirm.

Is there anything on Disk 1 you want to keep ? If not there is an easier way to make all the space on the drive usable.

13. americamba

Allan,

I can't tell if there is anything I want to save on Disc 1 because when I try to look at in File Explorer, I don't see its name but see systen_DRV(F:) and when I click on it I get a pop-up message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".

Can you tell me how to see what is in the drive? Does the screenshot help with this?

thanks, Frank

Attached Files:

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well if you didn't add any files to Disk 1 it only has the cloned files from Disk 0 so you can safely delete everything on it.

You do that in Disk Management by right clicking in each partition to the right of the Disk 1 box (make sure Disk 1 still shows as 1863GB first) then clicking on Delete, when they are all deleted you should have just Unallocated space, now right click on that and then on Format and leave the settings at defaults and you should end up with a single partition of 4TB.

15. americamba

ok now? thanks, Frank

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice