1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can't see files on my slave drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Maniwar, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maniwar

Maniwar Thread Starter

Help!

My wife's pc is a win2000 machine and we have a slave drive Western Digital USB external drive which we've been cleaning off files and trying to back up everything. This evening when she tried to access it, it showed that 163 gig of 180 was used, but we could not see the files.

We rebooted the pc hoping that would fix it and at first the drive showed up but did not give us a capacity or used space or anything. Now the drive is not showing up. I do know that we deleted the "System Volume Information" folder on that drive, and everything seemed to go bad after that.

Is there anything we can do to recover those files or that drive? It had many pics of our kids and other stuff and that's why we were in the process of backing up. I've downloaded Recuva to see if that could recover, but it doesn't see the drive. I then tried, WinDirStat and it too does not see the drive. Please Help.

Edit note: I'm editing to add that I can see the drive. I've unplugged the USB and restarted the drive and it now shows up. But there is still no drive capacity.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!